ispCP - Board - Support
choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - Printable Version

+- ispCP - Board - Support (http://www.isp-control.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ispCP Omega Development Area (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql (/thread-214.html)

choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - markg85 - 03-01-2007 01:02 AM

Hey,

yesterday i`ve nearly gotten VHCS to work.. but i missed one big thing in it.. At this moment you are deendent of the php, apache, mysql and postgresql version that your distribution provides.. i think that shouldn`t be the case with VHCS. i think it would be best if you adjust the installation script so that it asked what php version you want, what mysql version, what apache version and all other things that vhcs manages. that way you can always have THE LATEST packages installed.

i don`t think that those packages should be provided in the download of VHCS.. just provide links to them and download it with wget. extract with tar and configure with perl or any thing you like.

would be a cool adition to vhcs Smile and will make it alot better than cpanel Smile i believe cpanel still can`t use apache 2.0.x.x or 2.2.x.x in combination with php.

what are your thoughts about this?

RE: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - BioALIEN - 03-01-2007 01:24 AM

It might be a lot of work for the developers to make the VHCS installation script keep up with latest developments of apache, php, mysql etc as everytime a new release takes place VHCS Omega will have to make a new release to support it otherwise the installation script might break.

But +1 for the idea.

RE: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - RatS - 03-01-2007 01:36 AM

We are Debian based so why worry? Big Grin

RE: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - kilburn - 03-01-2007 01:41 AM

I think that the efforts are best focused at creating packages for existent distributions/releases using their maintained versions of apache/php/whatever. Trying to be able to configure every program on every platform would surely lead to a bloated unstable installation.

Do you want newer versions? Ask for ubuntu support, for example. Bleeding-edge versions simply shouldn't be used on production servers.

RE: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - ephigenie - 03-01-2007 01:54 AM

Yeah - right now you're even free to decide wether you like to install mysql4,5,5.1 or what.

It's just making it a bit simpler for those who don't know how that we give you a list with packages.

Omega runs fine with apache1.x, apache2.0.x, and apache2.2.x
it's just that you'll have to install it and perhaps adjust some path to it.

But we do not want a situation like it is with ispconfig where they've to follow the security holes and patch them bythemselfs.
I think that this was a bad idea of them.

We don't have to reinvent the wheel - ubuntu, debian maintainers around the world and many more do a quite good job on that topic It's an advantage of vhcs that its working without beeing fixed to certain versions.

(think of confixx and plesk - they've nearly all the same problems because they bring too much code with it)

RE: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - markg85 - 03-01-2007 05:44 AM

i was suggesting it because i`ve seen alot of distributions that just don`t have the latest version of php or mysql or apache. so compiling them at the moment of installation seems like a good suggestion. (that`s why i posted it)

RE: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - ephigenie - 03-01-2007 06:27 AM

Yeah - but you can use ubuntu server which is like debian unstable just they call it stable and try to keep it working & patched Wink

It's up to you - you _can_ use a distri and be on top of the development
should be clear that this is not really possible with suse & co...

RE: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - Daff - 03-01-2007 08:50 AM

What do you think about the Ubuntu Server? Is it the better choice or do you still recommend Debian (got PHP5 and MySQL 5 there running, too)?
By the way Hello again. I finished my exams and am ready for new work. And thank you, all that stuff looks great Smile

RE: choose and compile: php, apache, mysql and postgresql - ephigenie - 03-01-2007 08:56 AM

I heard a lot of good voices about it.
But i must say - i've not tested it in production environment over the years.

So thats a difference - for me i will stay with debian for a while since i know what i've on debian stable.
I've been using it > 5 years now with great success.

Why should i change...

Just a few days ago i installed cent/os on my asterisk box - that's also quite impressive to see all that cluster things tightly integrated - thats what i'm missing a bit under debian - ( try to make a stable gnbd / gfs setup under debian and you know what i mean Wink )