ispCP - Board - Support
Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - Printable Version

+- ispCP - Board - Support (http://www.isp-control.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ispCP Omega Support Area (/forum-30.html)
+--- Forum: Preinstallation Questions (/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server (/thread-2304.html)

Pages: 1 2

Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - hxbro - 02-05-2008 12:13 AM

OK, I want to migrate to a new server and at the same time upgrade to the latest nightly version of ispcp omega.

Both servers are debian testing, with the new server having nothing installed yet besides the base.

What's the best way to go about this?

I need to install all the packages on the new server, is there a list of what's required anywhere ?

What vhcs settings need copying over for the upgrade script to attempt to upgrade them to omega?

Would it be better to install vhcs, copy all the settings over from the old server, check that vhcs is working, then try the upgrade ?

Anything else to be aware of ?

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - rbtux - 02-05-2008 12:24 AM

do you have testing or etch installed? I don't know if lenny is fully supported yet...

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - hxbro - 02-05-2008 12:28 AM

testing is installed on both servers, vhcs has been running on testing for years, however, I should be able to tweak any configs that don't work

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - BeNe - 02-05-2008 12:35 AM

Quote:I need to install all the packages on the new server, is there a list of what's required anywhere ?
Of course --> http://www.isp-control.net/ispcp/browser/trunk/docs/Debian/debian-packages-lenny
Quote:What vhcs settings need copying over for the upgrade script to attempt to upgrade them to omega?
You can use the Update Script with the VHCS DB.
Quote:Would it be better to install vhcs, copy all the settings over from the old server, check that vhcs is working, then try the upgrade ?
Why donĀ“t you install ispCP, create the Users or import the DB and then the htdocs + emails ?
Quote:I don't know if lenny is fully supported yet...
lenny is supported!

Greez BeNe

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - hxbro - 02-05-2008 12:44 AM

So I just need the vhcs db copied over ?

If I run the upgrade script will it recreate all the users and directories based on the vhcs db ? So all I need to do afterwards is copy over the rest of the user files (db's, mail, web directories etc).

Or, will I need to recreate the vhcs users and directories myself ?

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - BeNe - 02-05-2008 01:10 AM

The DB structure from vhcs has changed to ispCP so 1:1 will not work.
But you try it with the vhcs DB and the UpdateScript.

Install ispCP, import the DB and copy the vhcs.conf to your new system, the run the updatescript. This should work. Never tested before Rolleyes Only a short brainstorming.

Maybe someone can give more information about it, or you post it in the UpdateScript Thread again.

Greez BeNe

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - hxbro - 02-05-2008 01:13 AM

I'll have a try and see what happens, worst comes to the worst I install everything by hand Wink

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - hxbro - 02-05-2008 05:38 AM

OK, a brief update for installing on lenny and upgrading afterwards:

Had to change a few packages from the lenny package list and had to use the gentoo apache fcgid config to get it to run as fastcgi isn't available with lenny.

In brief (I will create a proper list if putty has logged everything later)

Updated the package list (proftpd-mysql -> proftpd, libapache2-mod-fastcgi -> libapache2-mod-fcgid, libsasl2 -> libsasl2-2)
Did a debian install as normal
Updated apache config for fcgid calls from the gentoo config
Restarted apache, checked ispcp worked and could login
Copied /etc/vhcs2/vhcs2.conf to the new server /etc/vhcs2/vhcs2.conf
Copied the vhcs2 db over to the new server
Ran the update script

It looks like it's done what I needed, I just need to move all the user files over to the new server Smile

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - hxbro - 02-05-2008 05:42 AM

Not quite done everything, the users haven't been created in passwd and shadow

RE: Migrating from vhcs on old server to omega on a new server - BeNe - 02-05-2008 04:43 PM

So we maybe had forget to copy the passwd and group Rolleyes

Greez BeNe