ispCP - Board - Support
Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? - Printable Version

+- ispCP - Board - Support (http://www.isp-control.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ispCP Omega Development Area (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: General discussion (/forum-11.html)
+--- Thread: Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? (/thread-631.html)

Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? - Eminos - 05-22-2007 01:13 AM

Hi there,

I'm running VHCS2 with Debian Sarge now. I have some plans for the future, and will eventually move to an other server and run ispCP on Debian Etch.

The first thing I have to do is to upgrade the Sarge installation to Etch. As I said I'm running VHCS2 till the update script for ispCP is done.

So, what I'm asking is, how should I upgrade the distro? Is it anything I have to think about ? And will anything fail with VHCS after the upgrade to Etch?

Greatful for help ...

/Eminos

RE: Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? - Illidan - 05-22-2007 01:53 AM

If you move to a new server install Debian Etch new and then ispCP? I think this is easy as to upgrade Sarge to Etch and then VHCS2 to ispCP Big Grin!

RE: Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? - Eminos - 05-22-2007 01:57 AM

Well, is it really ?

To be honest I don't know how to upgrade any of it to any of it Big Grin

But if I would move my users from VHCS to an other server with Etch and ispCP manually, how would I do that? I'm mostly worried about the linux users (vu2028 and so on), and to get that to work with the clean install of ispCP.

Maybe someone could write me a simple guide ?
I would really appreciate that Smile

/E

RE: Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? - Eminos - 05-22-2007 02:04 AM

Actually I did some counting, and NO, I can't move to the other server yet, I just don't have the money for it yet. So I will have to upgrade to Etch and ispCP on my current server. Since ispCP upgrade script isn't out yet, I will have to do the Etch upgrade first.

So, my first question remains. How do I upgrade to Etch ? And will it screw something up with VHCS ? Smile

/E

RE: Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? - soringo - 05-22-2007 03:00 AM

You need a second hardware machine....I use also vhcs2 at this moment and "play" with ispcp ...as an advise dont make tests with your production server. Wink

RE: Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? - joximu - 05-22-2007 03:39 AM

Just in case:
when upgrading to etch there is a problem in the perl files from vhcs.
But somewhere here in the forum we already wrote about hat - a line is missing... I just cannot find the thread... but you'll find it with google (there are also other solutions in the web)

RE: Upgrade Debian Sarge to Etch ? - raphael - 05-22-2007 07:15 AM

To upgrade to etch:
modify your /etc/apt/sources.list and modify all those 'sarge' to 'etch'
and:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

Besides that, I recommend you to first make a backup of your server. Also, the backups engine won't work after the upgrade, because of a change in tar's options.
I'm not aware of any other problem caused by the upgrade.