ispCP - Board - Support
SSL support - Printable Version

+- ispCP - Board - Support (http://www.isp-control.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ispCP Omega Contributions Area (/forum-40.html)
+--- Forum: Enhancements (/forum-43.html)
+--- Thread: SSL support (/thread-7737.html)

Pages: 1 2

SSL support - Blondak - 09-03-2009 05:26 AM

Hi,
i have start wrote SSL support for ISPCP (using mod_gnutls), but i don't know where to setup SSL sites, I think about add checkbox "Enable SSL" and if enabled allow enter path for https, or automatic create htdocs-ssl? Do you have any ideas on GUI design?

RE: SSL support - kilburn - 09-03-2009 06:03 AM

Wow! Blondak... sci2tech has been working on SSL support for quite a while now. He is waiting to commit it until we release 1.0.3 (because current stable is buggy :S).

Contact him if you want to help, but duping all the work is not gonna take us anywhere (sci2tech is a hard-core- developer, so I don't think you can integrate this better than him Wink)

RE: SSL support - gOOvER - 09-03-2009 06:18 AM

Blondak, you made a lot in the last Time. Why don't you join the DevTeam? Every helping hand is needed Smile

RE: SSL support - sci2tech - 09-03-2009 06:42 AM

It is already done so do not waist time on it. It`s using mod_ssl and the draw back is that you need separate ip for each domain enabled ssl. But at least it is compatible with all browsers.
I`ll like to see you joining us, you did a real great job with DNS management.

RE: SSL support - aseques - 09-03-2009 07:49 AM

Just a comment on what was saying blondak, I think that both approaches are important.
There're lots of people that want to have their admin are managed under ssl, but don't want to pay for an extra ip plus a certificate.
I those cases I would use either gnutls (problem with lack of support) or the plain standard server certificate shared with all the hosts and with the error display.
In my case I did a couple of changes in the creation templates so every customer has a httpsdocs folder. So people can have a taste of security (still having to bypass security warnings about the certificate)
If you are interested there's something in the forum, just don't recall where I put it.

RE: SSL support - Blondak - 09-03-2009 04:44 PM

(09-03-2009 06:42 AM)sci2tech Wrote:  It is already done so do not waist time on it. It`s using mod_ssl and the draw back is that you need separate ip for each domain enabled ssl. But at least it is compatible with all browsers.
I`ll like to see you joining us, you did a real great job with DNS management.

I choose mod_gnutls, because yo don't need one IP (or port) for each domain,
Quote:mod_gnutls can also use 'Server Name Indication', as specified in RFC 3546. Currently all the recent browsers support this standard .
I test it on IE6 on Windows XP and main problem was, that IE use first offeres certificate :/ (almost same issue, if you are using single IP) but on supported browsers it works without problem. So I think that we can support both of these options.

And I'm very honored that you offer me joining dev team, and I accept your invitation.

RE: SSL support - rbtux - 09-03-2009 06:52 PM

why are ip adresses an issue for an isp?

RE: SSL support - gOOvER - 09-03-2009 07:18 PM

Not everyone is an ISP Wink We also have some private costumers Smile

RE: SSL support - aseques - 09-03-2009 08:06 PM

(09-03-2009 06:52 PM)rbtux Wrote:  why are ip adresses an issue for an isp?
Not a real issue for small numbers, but there're tons of people looking to cut costs, and using a selfsigned certificate is one (at least 60€ per year if you want something trusted) plus that if you gave and ip address for every domain you manage (in case everyone was insterested in having a ssl area), the RIPE boys would start billing you some serious money.

RE: SSL support - Blondak - 09-03-2009 11:18 PM

(09-03-2009 06:52 PM)rbtux Wrote:  why are ip adresses an issue for an isp?

etc. i must pay 90€/year, if 10 customers will need SSL on 2 subdomains, (without * certificate) its next 20 IP adresses, no problem with IPv6 but IPv4, how many domains i can run on single machine?