ispCP - Board - Support
Server crashes every day - Printable Version

+- ispCP - Board - Support (http://www.isp-control.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ispCP Omega Support Area (/forum-30.html)
+--- Forum: System Setup & Installation (/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Server crashes every day (/thread-8232.html)

Pages: 1 2

Server crashes every day - dronox - 10-26-2009 07:07 PM

Hi all,

I do not know why - but my server crashes nearly every day - or more frequently. I got the default configuration of ISPCP - except the PHP-configuration to kill the old processes (so that the RAM won't reserved to much).

Well, I got Debian 5.0 running on my VServer with 384MB RAM. I deinstalled the bind9, amavisd-new and spamassassin - the SMTP is running with authentication, so there can't be a problem.

Few hours after reboot of the VServer, I cannot login via SSH, via IMAP etc. - only Apache seems to work.

I don't know what to look for in the forum - so I hope someone could give me some links to solve the problem.

kind regards
dustin

RE: Server crashes every day - kilburn - 10-26-2009 09:32 PM

Your server is most probably running out of memory, thus swapping all the time and becoming nearly unusable. Have you tried applying the tweaks about "running on low memory systems" from our docs? It should be the absolutely first thing to try, along with discovering where is your ram being consumed...

RE: Server crashes every day - dronox - 10-27-2009 10:47 PM

Thanks for your fast reply.

I followed the steps to minimize the amount of RAM.
But does not seem to solve the problem. I initiated a cronjob every minute which posts me the free RAM (cat /proc/meminfo |grep MemFree) - and the free memory is always in the size of 280-300MB....
Here's an extract:

Di 27. Okt 13:25:01 CET 2009
MemFree: 284728 kB
Di 27. Okt 13:26:01 CET 2009
Di 27. Okt 13:28:01 CET 2009

For 13:26:01 I got a mail from crond with this content:
/home/logmeminfo: fork: Nicht genügend Hauptspeicher verfügbar

But as you can see, there is enough memory!

Do you know some other reasons?

Regards
Dustin

RE: Server crashes every day - FidiBus - 10-27-2009 11:04 PM

what about swap...is it used?

install "htop" to see/sort better wich processes are running

what kind of sites you´re running?

RE: Server crashes every day - dronox - 10-27-2009 11:11 PM

I do not have a swap partition in this vServer.

Well, htop sais that 203MB/534MB are used (I'm wondering about the 534 because I only bought 384MB at my hoster).

On the server there are running some additional daemons:
subversion with 2 repos
imap and smtp (1 mail account)

I removed amavis, spamassassin, postgrey, bind9.

On my apache there are running 4 pages at the moment:
-webmail client (roundcube)
-ispcp admin login
-1 project management (dotproject)
-personal homepage with little-middle php scripts

Regards
Dustin

edit:
For subversion access I use the WebDAV plugin in Apache2...could there be a problem with the memory usage?

RE: Server crashes every day - FidiBus - 10-27-2009 11:20 PM

the memory display can be wrong on vservers, much depending on how they are setup.
no swap? (trash the vserver and get a better one)

don´t look at the memory-display, look at what processes are running and wich take up most mem. you can sort or scroll thru them with htop.

what are little-middle php scripts...for ex. wordpress will kill your server if you don´t optimize it.

then look at log-files to find out what the server kills!!!

RE: Server crashes every day - dronox - 10-28-2009 12:17 AM

Okay, sorry I should have look better before posting at the forum.
The most memory usage had MySQL with 10 processes with 3,1% mem usage each process at startup. I reconfigured MySQL and now there are running at startup 2 processes with 0,9% mem usage.
Additionally I removed DAV_SVN and started Subversion in INETD - now there are 40M RAM more free.

I hope it will work.
Thanks for your help.

Regards Dustin

RE: Server crashes every day - Arno - 10-28-2009 01:23 AM

In case your vServer ist OpenVZ or its commercial branch, you should check the file /proc/user_beancounters. There are a lot of tuneable parameters.

RE: Server crashes every day - ender049 - 10-29-2009 03:40 AM

(10-26-2009 09:32 PM)kilburn Wrote:  Your server is most probably running out of memory, thus swapping all the time and becoming nearly unusable. Have you tried applying the tweaks about "running on low memory systems" from our docs? It should be the absolutely first thing to try, along with discovering where is your ram being consumed...

where is the "running on low memory sysytems"? which doc it in? I can't find it

RE: Server crashes every day - ender049 - 10-29-2009 04:52 AM

Big Grin
forget it~~
I post that theard because I can't find anything by search "running on low memory systems".
but by chance,I find it when I searching "ispcp remove bind9"