ispCP - Board - Support
email of users not respecting local characters - Printable Version

+- ispCP - Board - Support (http://www.isp-control.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ispCP Omega Support Area (/forum-30.html)
+--- Forum: Usage (/forum-34.html)
+--- Thread: email of users not respecting local characters (/thread-8234.html)

email of users not respecting local characters - robbo007 - 10-26-2009 07:34 PM

Hello all,

A few of my users have reported that when people send them email from domains like hotmail etc the local characters, in my case Spanish characters with accents are being displayed with a ? instead of the correct character.

IE: EspaƱa would be displayed as Espa?a

Anyone had this problem? Is this a Postfix issue on my end?

Thanks,

Rob

RE: email of users not respecting local characters - kilburn - 10-26-2009 10:07 PM

It's really weird, as Postfix shouldn't be modifying any e-mails going through it. My users are also mostly spaniards, and nobody has reported this behaviour on my servers. Ask yours from where are they looking at the e-mails (webmail? outlook? ...?), as I think that this is more of a mail client issue than server-side one...

RE: email of users not respecting local characters - robbo007 - 10-26-2009 10:14 PM

I think at one stage I installed all the other local support on my server. Is there a way to test the other locals are installed correctly? IE support for Spanish.

The users have tried collecting mail via Outlook and the Squirelmail webmail. Seems to be the same. Its not happening on all emails which makes me suspect what your saying. Problems with the client or the person sending.

Rob

RE: email of users not respecting local characters - kilburn - 10-26-2009 10:27 PM

Well, you can execute "locale -a" to view the list of installed locales. That said, postfix should NOT be doing *any* changes to the e-mail, so "locale" support on it is senseless. The only thing that comes into my mind as a possible origin is amavis/spamassassin if you happen to use them...