ispCP - Board - Support
Ispcp irc server. - Printable Version

+- ispCP - Board - Support (http://www.isp-control.net/forum)
+-- Forum: ispCP Omega Development Area (/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Ispcp irc server. (/thread-869.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Ispcp irc server. - Z4P - 06-26-2007 11:31 PM

Hey,

I think problems and bugs can be faster and better be fixed if we have some kind of chat. And atm irc is 1 of the best protocols for it.
The best would be if we have our own irc server. A free on gamesurge will also do the job, but if we have our own we can edit everything to our needs, and easely add extra channels. e.g. Bugs, Dev or Support.
(and we can make pasword protected channels)
I can provide some space for the irc server on my DD, but first i wanna know if it really is gonna be used. And we can use the forum to post some report of problems we have fixed.

What do you think about it? and do you think it will improve current community? What are the pros and cons of it?

RE: Ispcp irc server. - heiti - 06-27-2007 12:00 AM

freenode will give you anything you need and its full of OS-projects. So why adding another server?

RE: Ispcp irc server. - Z4P - 06-27-2007 12:03 AM

I will look at it, i was actually only on gamesurge.

RE: Ispcp irc server. - tioan - 06-27-2007 12:07 AM

heiti Wrote:freenode will give you anything you need and its full of OS-projects. So why adding another server?
I also prefere irc.freenode.org because over 90 % of als OS-Projekts with irc are there like #linux #debian #gentoo and os one, and i already on this server. I wouldn´t connect to an other server only for one channel.

So i think #isp-control on irc.freenode.org is right you can join it with Chatzilla under Firefox with this link #isp-control

RE: Ispcp irc server. - BeNe - 06-27-2007 12:15 AM

Why was there no IRC Channel before ??

Quote:stand by the idea of using this forum as the main discussion and topic. It is open so it allows other people to browse and search for solutions. It also shows that this community is active and encourages more people to use it.

IRC is for when the forums are too busy and there are not enough people to help out with support. I.e. when the product explodes exponentially so that the number of support out wights the staff allocated to provide support.

--> http://www.isp-control.net/forum/irc-t-125.html#pid1744

RE: Ispcp irc server. - tioan - 06-27-2007 12:18 AM

BeNe Wrote:Why was there no IRC Channel before ??

Quote:stand by the idea of using this forum as the main discussion and topic. It is open so it allows other people to browse and search for solutions. It also shows that this community is active and encourages more people to use it.

IRC is for when the forums are too busy and there are not enough people to help out with support. I.e. when the product explodes exponentially so that the number of support out wights the staff allocated to provide support.

--> http://www.isp-control.net/forum/irc-t-125.html#pid1744

Someone can putt the irc channel logs on this website, so every one can search on all information, from irc and from forum

RE: Ispcp irc server. - BeNe - 06-27-2007 12:22 AM

I know - but these are all things that must be checked before.
Maybe it is more work than only open a Channel....

RE: Ispcp irc server. - Z4P - 06-27-2007 12:34 AM

I agree, but irc is more personal. And for small things like i have alot. that something not working good, or editing something small. I agree that on the forums everything can be readed back. But if we have found a solution on irc we can post it on the forums or on the FAQ.

Because when i search the forum for a problem, i first need to browse throught 10 posts wo aren't like min problem, and after that i need to choose between the 5 solutions there are on that problem.

RE: Ispcp irc server. - joximu - 06-27-2007 01:24 AM

But the searching will not fall away with a chat. It's more: you want a chat *because* searching in the forum is not that thrilling...

Maybe you have a look at the other side of the forum: the people who are trying to help. It's very annoying to write the same thing several times.

A chat doen't solve this problem. I'd rather put some work on a good documentation/FAQ or even a better searching for already answered questions.

We need someone who can put the solutions which are found here on a web page where it's easy searchable. This would help more for the long time support... (tha FAQ is a good start but it's to static)

This seems for me to be more important than a chat.
When version 1.0 is out (or maybe 1.1) most of the questions here should be answered and the chat would be less and less interesting.

/Joximu

RE: Ispcp irc server. - Z4P - 06-27-2007 01:36 AM

I'm looking to it from the other side, i'm currently learning alot about this project and want to help other users and the dev team. I really love this project and want to help.

But thats is why i starded the poll Wink to look what others think about this idea.