Current time: 04-18-2024, 02:59 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ispcp + postfix + dovecot
Qwerty256 Offline
Dev Team

ispcp + postfix + dovecot
I have done configuration with ISPCP with:
1. Postfix as SMTP
2. dovecot as pop3 + imap

and everything is done without any mbox creating on filesystem, everything is get from ispcp mail_users table, and you don't hjave to have other tables, or other files on system, ispcp don't need to do any commands on real system and it's faster and more powerfull Smile

If admins like that idea i can support that part of ispCP and help to simplify ispcp working Smile
02-24-2012 06:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: ispcp + postfix + dovecot
The dovecot part is already somewhere in the wiki - but not the postfix part.

For me I have to admit that I do like the files which are created by ispcp for the configuration of the services. The advantages:
Mails still are ok even if MySQL is down for a reason.
You can prepare some new configurations in the ispcp database - and then when its finished, you can make the system configuration from it.... (ok, this could be solved with two tables - a prepare and a production table).

/J
02-24-2012 06:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Qwerty256 Offline
Dev Team

(02-24-2012 06:20 AM)joximu Wrote:  The advantages:
Mails still are ok even if MySQL is down for a reason.

/J

I cannot imagine that my MySQL is down Smile webpages are more important than e-mails usually...

and Disadvantage of the ispCP solution is that it's very hardcoded in system Smile I spent 10 hours to get it working on my system, with debugging turned on and created something like 50 emails account on system Wink ...and then in 3 hours i done system which is using only ispcp.mail_users table for everything.

And in ispCP solution, you not always sure that everything in ispcp table is the same as you have on system Smile
02-24-2012 06:43 AM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

Why we didn't support it in the past was, that due to the fact that not all required software packages were available in debian we would have to provide a trustworthy source for the packages which is way of our scope.

It is part of our concept, that we try to keep it as reliable as possible and secure as possible. This means all components must be available from distributions repository.
02-26-2012 04:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Qwerty256 Offline
Dev Team

You need less packages than in your solution, you don't need to use dovecot you can still use courier-pop3 and courier-imap instead of dovecot, the thing is that postfix and courier-pop3 and everything will get information about users from ispcp database, not from filesystem. for example in my old configuration without dovecot i have courier-imap using only ispcp database for authentication, and postfix is getting from database too i have commented all ispcp-mbox-mngr and this script doing nothing on my filesystem Wink
02-26-2012 10:58 PM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

yes sure i'm aware of that.
I did qmail and qpopper / exim setups with mysql long before anybody was talking about it.
But the thing with generated files remains.
It might be true that on the one hand it introduces an unnecessary level of complexity - on the other hand it is also kind of safety redundancy.

However if dovecot is available as a debian package, the best solution would be to give users a choice while they install. At that point they can even decide if they want the extra redundancy of having the account data written in files or if they want to have it in the database.

If you prepare the complete dovecot side, i can take care of the installer.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2012 11:14 PM by ephigenie.)
02-26-2012 11:13 PM
Qwerty256 Offline
Dev Team

we have deal Wink
02-26-2012 11:36 PM