Current time: 04-17-2024, 05:59 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
We need your help!!! Where is the Community ?
rsmithgs Offline

RE: We need your help!!! Where is the Community ?
MicCo Wrote:I'm just very sorry to hear that so many people have been "looking" around for 4 - 5 months, just waiting for other people to make them an free software, instead of supporting the coders and the project much sooner.

I can also tell you, all the visetors just looking around, that much more work are done by the coders then what you sees in this forum.

Last, we all need to put bread on the table and send our kids to school, and even some have an wife or girlfriend that also wants a bit. This is an free and open source, made by people that just want to make the best, even without getting paid.

So if I may, please don't ask what this project can do for You, but be welcome to ask what You can do for this project !

Feel like I have been asking on a daily basis recently, I've been feeling so guilty that I can't actually code
09-04-2007 08:48 AM
Find all posts by this user
blocker Offline

huh ? i think some people here willing to help but since there no clue or the guide line, lost track, a lot request has been put on the project but where is the delegation ? who responsible for what most of us dont know, rats once told me there will be guide line so i wait for that.

i know this is an open source, and i am just a "junior distro coder" but still it must be manage well if we want to see some progress

so if dev seems lack of help please think again how to manage and how build a rule, if possible a detail rule, so people can easy contribute without breaking all the system that already done.
09-04-2007 11:43 AM
Diggo Offline

I totally agree with you MicCo, it´s opensource and people should take part in instead of just asking for what they can get.

But there are a lot of people (like me) that aren´t able to code anything.
I just did some PHP stuff myself that´s near the classic "hello world", so I´m not seeing myself beeing able to provide qualitative code. I´m feeling sorry for this. Sad

With a stable version I could do some templates or advertisement on my pages or something like that.
I could also give a small Vserver for free - but they already have one Shy
What I am doing since a week is asking my friends, if they could spend some time on the project, if they´re interested in this - can´t force nobody to program.
09-04-2007 04:41 PM
MicCo Offline
Moderators

Just to make it short, as I think, we will need and should have done long ago, to split the work up in teams, and one very importen thing, all the very nice work and idears from raphael, should maybe be made as moduls/plugins for ispCP, as then raphael are free to develop new fantastic options for ispCP without the actualy release of an first stable version being stalled any longer. I do very well understand the comment of the structure to be made finish befor an release, but then let this be the goal for now.

We can all help in some way, translation, testing, make HowTo's, why not propose an team to make whitepapers so that will be ready and can be updated on an regular basis.

Me, I'm sorry to say that my skills are limited and that due to some personally healt problems, going i and out of hospital, I can't do much more then be a hand when ever a developer are in need and/or offer to donate hardware as HD, servers etc., when needed.

But one thing You all can count one that I will never let this project die, RatS and Malte have done so much for this application even when it was VHCS, so they and the rest of the developers, as well as all the coders that have joined this project, shall at all time enjoy my full respect and I support them 100%.
09-04-2007 05:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
BeNe Offline
Moderators

What i can see - nobody is really happy what happened here.
And we all see that we have to communicate more!

So we have to make a Plan or a Dev Roadmap - how to handle the Development in the future. We have some suggestions here in this Thread and should choose one of them.

What about a Vote like:

A.) Bring out a RC3 without Bugs and NO more features
This means that raphael get his own branche to build new,nice and helpful features and all other Dev´s work in the RC3-trunk. Later we can copy the features from branche to trunk.Maybe raphael can help the first time in the trunk so we are much faster.

B.) We continues our drive on this Road here and get the RC3 really later and with new features.

C.) More ideas ?

@Micco I am with you!
Greez BeNe
09-04-2007 09:21 PM
rsmithgs Offline

Need to seperate the trunks maybe?

I.E take a snapshot of the current trunk, sort the bugs and release as stable
The current trunk becomes the developement trunk.

Next time the dev trunk reaches a certain point, snapshot, fix bugs, sort upgrade script and release as stable though the dev trunk continues to be developed.

Then everyone gets the best of both worlds and can either use the stable or dev versions.

Though I think there needs to be discussion as to when we take the snapshot, which features do we want included in the 1st stable release and those that we can do without for now. (Would we want a stable version without certain features that would be included on another open source control panel?)

Just an idea.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2007 09:58 PM by rsmithgs.)
09-04-2007 09:53 PM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

That´s exactly what i (wanted to) say in Point A. Smile

Greez BeNe
09-04-2007 10:13 PM
rsmithgs Offline

I think the majority of people would back plan A. If this is the case there needs to be a discussion on when it is frozen.

So out of interest, if you back plan A could you also state what functionality is absolutely needed before the snapshot is taken.
09-05-2007 05:06 AM
Breaki Offline

i don't know if it's right, but i think the code for rc3 is already frozen and only bugfixes will be done now (looking at the bugtracker) ... all features moved to milestone 1.1.0.

greetz
09-05-2007 06:01 AM
Diggo Offline

Looks like a spambot Sad - are guest posts allowed?
04-13-2008 01:44 AM
Thread Closed