Current time: 04-19-2024, 08:20 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

No subdomains for domain aliases?
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

No subdomains for domain aliases?
My current control panel system (one i wrote), has seperate users and domains, so that one user account can manage many domains. I'm working on migrating my users over, but am running into some issues as how to setup the accounts in ispCP and not confuse my current clients too bad.

In my control panel, I implemented a concept of "parked domain" (which I guess some people use to mean something else, but think of it as a "clone of the site, with a different url"), meaning the domain was different, but it pointed to the same DocumentRoot as another domain under the account. This would be the same as a "Domain Alias" with the directory mount point set to /, and "Forward to URL" set to no. In my system if you add a "parked domain" you get all the subdomains created too. I just add extra alias lines in the vhost, so its really easy.

Example: your main domain is maindomain.com, and then you create domainalias.com which points to /. If you add subdomain.maindomain.com, you'd also have subdomain.domainalias.com available, since they are the same site really...

I really need either this feature, or the ability to create subdomains for domain aliases to do my migration. I think implementing the "parked domain" sort of thing would be easiest, as this could just be done when creating the apache conf's by adding an extra entry to the aliases line. I took a look at how the domains, domain_aliases, and subdomains tie together, and it looks like a domain alias isn't an actual domain, but instead a different table. So it doesn't look like it would be easy to allow creation of subdomains for an alias....

What do you guys think? Anyone else blocked by this same issue?
08-25-2008 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xister Offline
Beta Team

RE: No subdomains for domain aliases?
In this context have a look at this open ticket:
http://www.isp-control.net/ispcp/ticket/896
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2008 04:37 PM by xister.)
08-25-2008 04:36 PM
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

RE: No subdomains for domain aliases?
Yeah, implementation of this could be handled by a Redirect, however in my system I didn't allow users to redirect any domains/subdomains externally (at least through the vhost) so I don't even need that feature. That is a nice feature request though, and I'm sure my clients will find some use for it. Smile

I really think I just need a feature to set the whole domain as a "Clone" of another domain on the server. Browsing them could either keep you on the same url (redirect/forward), or allow them to have different urls (ServerAlias), depending on the option chosen when setting it up. Either way though, the cloned domain/subdomain woudln't need a DocumentRoot so that bug #896 does make complete sense.

In my implementation all of this is done simply with ServerAlias directives, but yeah I agree using Redirect gives some more flexibility. (not sure of the extra overhead it has though, if any...)
08-25-2008 05:20 PM