Current time: 04-19-2024, 08:39 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Help partitioning disks - Debian
lschafroth Offline

Help partitioning disks - Debian
I have a Debian server with three SCSI drives. With CentOS and Ubuntu, the installation partitioned all three drives as one large virtual drive which was perfect.

I spent 4 hours trying to get Debian Etch to do it and it would never boot. I ended up partitioning 1 of the three drives and working with that.

I now have the need for the extra disk space to host my file storage. Can someone help me partition the remaining two drives from the CLI as one large drive?

Thanks!!

Lannie

Debian Etch - ISPCP RC7
12-15-2008 10:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

RE: Help partitioning disks - Debian
If you plan to keep your OS on the single disk, you might want to look into putting in a 4th disk, and doing a RAID1 of that boot drive.

As for the two remaining drives, you want to google "LVM2 howto", "LVM2 tutorial", etc...

If you want some redundancy, you should think about mirroring your two drives together in a RAID1, and then adding that device in to your LVM.

From there, you can create your volume groups, logical volumes, add a filesystem to the lv, and then mount them where you want.

There are a lot of tutorials out there online for this, so please do some research into it before you start.

I'm pretty sure LVM2 is what you were having in Centos/Ubuntu by default. It is a very nice setup, that i use on all my systems.

-
pgentoo
12-15-2008 12:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply