Current time: 04-20-2024, 01:53 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Promising Webmail Application
openstream Offline

Promising Webmail Application
Hi there,

I just came across the ROUNDCUBE Webmail Project which is available under the GPL license. Currently I'm using Horde IMP, but Roundcube is so much more sexy Cool

Is anybody still attached to the default VHCS webmail component or are there already any plans to implement another webmail application?

Cheers,
Nick
12-22-2006 03:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: Promising Webmail Application
We're planning to remove it - because it's very buggy.
But we're looking forward for someone to make a theme for squirrelmail and some changes there to make password - changes work and perhaps some integration with maia in squirrelmail.

Roundcube is nice anyway - but it's somewhat limited to a webmailer only.
We would like to have a bit more Wink
12-22-2006 07:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shin Offline
Development Team - Junior
Dev Team

I use also rouncube on my server, is not so good. As ephigene said it's only a script to send and receive mail
12-23-2006 01:30 AM
openstream Offline

Shin Wrote:I use also rouncube on my server, is not so good. As ephigene said it's only a script to send and receive mail

It might not be as flexible as Squirrel or Horde, but it can do a lot more then only sending and receiving mails.

Released features
* Multilingual capabilities
* Full support for MIME and HTML messages
* Compose messages with attachments
* Multiple sender identities
* Basic address book
* Find-as-you-type address book integration
* Forwarding messages with attachments
* Create or remove custom message folders
* Built-in caching for fast mailbox access
* Support for external SMTP server
* Searching messages and contacts
* Spell checking
* Advanced user interface
* Unlimited users and messages
* Complete customization with skins

Planned features
* Message filters and rules
* Full featured address book based on VCard standard
* Import/export functions
* Richtext/HTML composing
* Support for GPG/PGP encryption
* Plug-in API for flexible exensions

And they have a lot more planned on their
roadmap.

I understand if you don't want to use this a the default webmail client, but maybe we can think about a VHCS (or ISP Control Panel) module that allows hosters to easily add the AJAX webmail client if they like it ;-)
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2006 02:44 AM by openstream.)
12-23-2006 02:41 AM
Daff Offline

Hm I thought about another Webmailer, too since a customer reported some bugs in the current one.
I've had just a quick overview but I have seen that both just support IMAP (so I think about switching completely to IMAP), Roundcube has no plugin capability and squirrelmail instead no template/skin engine. Another benefit for squirrelmail is that the client doesn't need JavaScript (but the standard look appears accordingly and I really like that new AJAX gadets. e.g. I'm searching an AJAX Web file manager and found this: http://ecosmear.com/relay/demo/).

... please correct me if I'm wrong in one of these points Smile
12-23-2006 04:42 AM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

hm squirrelmail has definitely theme - support :
look here : http://www.squirrelmail.org/themes.php
12-23-2006 06:59 AM
xister Offline
Beta Team

What about this theme:
http://vhcs.net/new/modules/newbb/viewto...SC&start=0
12-23-2006 08:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
openstream Offline

xister Wrote:What about this theme:
http://vhcs.net/new/modules/newbb/viewto...SC&start=0

Frankly speaking, I don't like this theme. I'd be possibly volunteering to create a new theme for Squirrel (and Roundcube Tongue) once it has been decided if the current blue theme of VHCS will be the default theme for ISP Control Panel, too.

Are there any plans to create a new theme for ISP Control Panel? Then the webmail theme should of course fit in well with that new theme, shouldn't it?
12-23-2006 01:57 PM
MicCo Offline
Moderators

Quote:Are there any plans to create a new theme for ISP Control Panel? Then the webmail theme should of course fit in well with that new theme, shouldn't it?

Dev-team looking for help for developing of icons etc., for the new ISP Control Panel, e.g. for the Phantastico etc. But for now all work are related to release of the VHCS Omega.
12-28-2006 09:35 PM
Shin Offline
Development Team - Junior
Dev Team

Iìve talked with ephigene about it, now the priority is vhcs omega, so fixing errors, then we can start with aour project.
12-28-2006 11:47 PM