Current time: 04-20-2024, 07:33 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Separate Common Config from Distro-specific
motokochan Offline

Separate Common Config from Distro-specific
One thing I see that sometimes causes issues is that each distribution has a full copy of configuration data, even if the exact same file is in each distribution folder.

This situation has several problems:
  • Fixes or changes to a configuration file require the developer to remember to update all copies of the file.
  • The extra copies add to the size of the download package. A few k isn't much, but multiply by the file count and supported distros - that grows fast!

Establishing a common configuration area has some advantages:
  • Only managing distro-specific files helps make sure that updates are caught
  • Keeping only distro-specific files in the distro directories can promote porting as it will ease the process and hopefully help accepting ports in the central repository.

What do you all think? I wouldn't mind helping with an effort to do that, it'll help with my server admin job so I might be able to get time to help during my work hours.
11-24-2009 05:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nuxwin
Unregistered

RE: Separate Common Config from Distro-specific
Hello;

The problem is known, a decision will be taken on this issue after 1.0.3. Note that I have already started with the files linked to the database.

Code:
2009-11-18 Laurent Declercq
    - GUI:
        * Fixed #1725: /var/log/rkhunter.log not readable (AGAIN)
    - DATABASE:
        * The Sql files (database.sql, language.sql) are the same for all distributions. Moved into only one directory to facilitate the maintenances.
11-24-2009 09:34 PM
Quote this message in a reply
motokochan Offline

Awesome. Anything I can do to help speed things along once I have some time next month?
11-25-2009 02:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RatS Offline
Project Leader

Of course, you can motokochan. Just get in contact with me and tell me your skills. We will find a job for you and I hope you will like to be part of the team!
12-01-2009 02:37 AM
motokochan Offline

I sent you a private message with details on my skill level. Now, back to finishing a site migration for a customer (from an old internally-developed CP that was never finished to ispCP-Omega).
12-01-2009 01:13 PM