Current time: 04-16-2024, 02:54 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Multi-server Admin Tool
rexsham Offline

Multi-server Admin Tool
I am new to ISPCP and just got it setup a few days ago.
I suggest ISPCP to develop some Multiple server administration features so that it can be used in real life hosting companies.

From my point of view, one of the big reasons for much more people to use ISPCP is to have a Multiple Server Admin Tool. Small and Mid-sized Web Hosting companies using ISPCP will have to login each physical server to see its status and change settings, which is quite inefficient. I know some other third-party tools can monitor some information of servers, but as a "Ultimate Panel", everything should integrate into one, so as to reduce the workload of administrators.

Also, ISPCP upgrades is a serious pain for standalone servers. If I have 100 Servers and I will need a month to upgrade them all. And I need to have a good plan to tell different users that there will be some downtime at some specific time slot and planning that schedule is already a pain.

If I can use a single admin tool to do upgrades and monitoring, I can do the same thing on thousands of servers at the same time.

This poorly documented panel from India claim that they have multiple server control and their features are quite useful in real life situations:
http://sourceforge.net/userapps/trac/indiangnu/
12-21-2009 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ZooL Offline
Moderators

RE: Multi-server Admin Tool
hey,

this project it death Sad
12-21-2009 01:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MicCo Offline
Moderators

(12-21-2009 12:40 PM)rexsham Wrote:  I am new to ISPCP and just got it setup a few days ago.
I suggest ISPCP to develop some Multiple server administration features so that it can be used in real life hosting companies.

From my point of view, one of the big reasons for much more people to use ISPCP is to have a Multiple Server Admin Tool. Small and Mid-sized Web Hosting companies using ISPCP will have to login each physical server to see its status and change settings, which is quite inefficient. I know some other third-party tools can monitor some information of servers, but as a "Ultimate Panel", everything should integrate into one, so as to reduce the workload of administrators.

Also, ISPCP upgrades is a serious pain for standalone servers. If I have 100 Servers and I will need a month to upgrade them all. And I need to have a good plan to tell different users that there will be some downtime at some specific time slot and planning that schedule is already a pain.

If I can use a single admin tool to do upgrades and monitoring, I can do the same thing on thousands of servers at the same time.

This poorly documented panel from India claim that they have multiple server control and their features are quite useful in real life situations:
http://sourceforge.net/userapps/trac/indiangnu/

http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...p?id=howto

http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...ha_release

http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...o:seperate
12-21-2009 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rexsham Offline

(12-21-2009 01:35 PM)ZooL Wrote:  hey,

this project it death Sad

What do you mean by "this project"? The india one I quoted or the multi server admin tool that I proposed?
MicCo,
I have seen those pages before, but I don't think that is a solution to my view of "multiple server administration".

What I mean is that I can have a server list in the panel, and if I want to configure the server number 112, I just click server 112 and I can get into the admin pages of server 112. I am not meaning separating the web services and ftp services to other physical servers.

The reason for having this feature is that I can have a single point to control all the standalone servers, and not distributing the services in a group of machines that are linked up with NFS.

i.e.
192.168.0.1 No External IP Dedicated Main Admin Server
Services:MySQL, FTP, Web, Mail

192.168.0.2 218.254.123.1 Server 1
Services:MySQL, FTP, Web, Mail Serving 30 clients

192.168.0.3 218.254.123.2 Server 2

192.168.0.4 218.254.123.3 Server 3

Each server running all services and serves a predefined amount of users. I think this is the way that most small sized hosting companies do. This method is scalable in both CPU usage and Disk Storage and can distribute the CPU and Storage load to other machines. It is also intuitive to operate, which is important for small companies, where they cannot afford to hire a very experienced adminstrator. I know we can make MYSQL Cluster, Mail Cluster and NFS to spread the loads, but it might be a technical barrier for admins in small companies. If a cluster crashed, all their customers will be affected and it is a risk that small firms can't take. If we can control a group of standalone servers, whenever one server died with whatever reasons, just a part of users will be affected.

For small companies, we don't need a central cluster or distributing the services to different dedicated machines, but we need a tool for managing multiple standalone machines that runs all the services inside.

When I have a new server added, I can just use a clone disk to load it up, setup new IPs and hostnames. Then I can manually add the new server internal IP to the Main Admin Server Panel, or if better, it will find the Main Admin Server through the config file on the clone disk and add itself to the list.

I hope I can explain my idea clearly~

Comments are always welcomed~

Rex
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2009 09:00 PM by rexsham.)
12-21-2009 08:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MicCo Offline
Moderators

(12-21-2009 08:22 PM)rexsham Wrote:  MicCo,
I have seen those pages before, but I don't think that is a solution to my view of "multiple server administration".

What I mean is that I can have a server list in the panel, and if I want to configure the server number 112, I just click server 112 and I can get into the admin pages of server 112. I am not meaning separating the web services and ftp services to other physical servers.

Arhhh, okay, but that's an whole other thing then.

I did have an 10 server hosting service ( with customs servers too, about 16 all together) and I just made me an admin arrea for this kind of work. Using different kinds of tools free from the internet.

I dont think that this version of our ispCP are ment to cover this kind of business setup, but it will be nice if someone will make an kind of plugin to setup via the future Tool-Box, if it will be an reality some day.
12-21-2009 10:39 PM