Current time: 04-20-2024, 06:26 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[SOLVED] question about reverse records
coper Offline

[SOLVED] question about reverse records
Hello,
I was checking my bind configuration because some emails not reaching destination.
I checked the dns settings on various websites and results show me that I have PTR records for all my ips. Look this example from intodns.com (assuming that my server is called myserver):
Code:
Reverse MX A records (PTR) Your reverse (PTR) record:
X.XXX.XXX.XXX.in-addr.arpa ->  myserver1.domain.com
You have reverse (PTR) records for all your IPs, that is a good thing.
Why show me myserver1.domain.com if my servername is myserver?
Where is it configured that name?
In /etc/hostname I have "myserver"
And in /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf I have
SERVER_HOSTNAME = myserver.domain.com

The question is where is "myserver1"?

I read the following in some post about PTR records:
Maybe we'll bring ispcp to do that too :-) - but this has less priority...
I think this shouldn't be less priority, lots of clients have problems with emails not reaching destination. It's just a sugestion.

Thanks for any help!
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 09:28 PM by coper.)
01-18-2010 07:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

RE: question about reverse records
Reverse DNS addresses are *not* defined in the domain DNS zone. They are defined in the IP DNS zone, this is:

XXX.YYY.ZZZ.TTTT.in-addr.arpa

Obviously, these zones are controlled by the owner of the IP block, which is usually your ISP, not your own server. Thus, the "server1" thing is either defined at your ISP's control panel, or manually configured by them. There's nothing that ispcp can do about that Tongue
01-18-2010 07:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
coper Offline

Ok. I understand.
One last question about this.
Can I set manually reverse records for my domains? Of course creating zones, etc. That's a bind configuration thing.
But I only want to know if it's possible or I have to user that reverse defined by my ISP?

Thanks again!
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 07:47 PM by coper.)
01-18-2010 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

No, you don't understand. The zone where these records are defined is owned by your ISP, not by you. Thus, you have no authority at all to directly define records in it.

Obviously, you can configure your bind to pretend that it has control over the zone, just like you can configure it to pretend that it owns "google.com". The point is that *nobody* will be asking you about DNS records for "google.com" because you're not an authority of this zone, so you would be just wasting your time. It's the same exact thing with reverse DNS zones: you are *not* an authority for the "yyy.zzz.ttt.in-addr.arpa" zone, so *nobody* will ask you for the "PTR" record of "xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt.in-addr.arpa" DNS record (which is how a reverse DNS query is resolved). DNS resolvers will ask to the zone's authority (your ISP), and get the same exact response unless your ISP changes it. It simply doesn't matter what you do your own server.

That said, they probably let you change your reverse DNS through some section of their control panel. Look around there or just ask your ISP directly on how can you do it.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2010 08:17 PM by kilburn.)
01-18-2010 08:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply