Current time: 04-20-2024, 08:39 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Virtual ethernet and ispcp_network daemon
Nuxwin
Unregistered

RE: Virtual ethernet and ispcp_network daemon
We should load the script to restore all added Ip.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2010 10:17 PM by RatS.)
04-03-2010 10:55 PM
Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Well, if you only add the IP in the panel - then you may need the script.

If you add the IPs in /etc/network/interfaces - then I think/thought the script is not needed (and does make problems)....

So an improvement of the script is necessary (netmask etc???) - and also maybe a check if the ip is already set up.

/J (hope its correct now)
04-03-2010 11:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nuxwin
Unregistered

All this will improved. For some reasons (eg /etc/network/interfaces file is not available with all dists), the on the fly configuration at boot must be conserved. The next implementation will detect automatically the network configuration such as the Ip addresses that are added from GUI or configured in another way (eg. with scripts, manually...). With the next implementation, it will be possible to disable an interface or an IP address even if it has not been added via the GUI.
04-03-2010 11:19 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

ok - the improvements are welcome (even if I think adding ip addresses is a job which can be done using the operating system tools... - but who cares :-).
As long as there are problems I rather try to present a solution which looks like my post #12 here...

/J
04-03-2010 11:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nuxwin
Unregistered

Hello ;

I agreed with you Joxi, adding ip addresses is a job that must be done by a operating system tool.

That is already the case because the current script use ifconfig to add/remove an Ip address . Tongue

The GUI should just provide a interface between the user and operating system to manage easily the adding/change/deletion of an interface and/or an address IP. Here, the ispCP database represent the data persistence. That replaces the common flat files such as /etc/network/interfaces. The network engine script is just a layer that allows to get the data from the database and who perform the required changes on the system via the operating system tools such as ifconfig ( configure a network interface ) ip (iproute - show / manipulate routing, devices, policy routing and tunnels), brctl ( ethernet bridge administration )...

Your approach is hard to implement because the files for networking data persistence are not the same on all distributions. The configuration on the fly is easier to implement.

But I'm curious, so can you explain your solution.

Cheer ;
04-04-2010 09:37 PM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

Having ispCP managing additional ip addresses has one benefit for later purposes - it may even be possible to transfer all domains residing on one ip to another server - including the ip of course Wink

But anyway yeah i know this sounds a bit far away ...
However using the "ip" utils instead of ifconfig will be a much more error-free configuration.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2010 01:47 AM by ephigenie.)
04-05-2010 01:46 AM
rbtux Offline
Moderators

we did implement something similar for our very simple script based solution.

We use a sql backend and the ip util to configure things on the fly... The main motivation was IPv6 as there were/are a lot of bugs in the network configurations scripts of the distributions. (like the stupid ipv6 secondaries directive in centos...)

With the ip command you can simply add ipaddress to an interface (you don't need this silly eth0:xx interfaces for alias addresses...)
04-05-2010 01:53 AM
Nuxwin
Unregistered

@rbtux

With the iproute tool, you can also added an Ip address on an aliased interface as is done by ifconfig (eg. eth0:1). With the iproute tool, it's an option that is called 'label'. When you add a label via iproute, the behavior/result is the same as ifconfig , and so, ifconfig can list all ip. But right now, the adding ip as secondary is better.

You should note that is only a different view. The internal routing is the same. But, the ispCP interface should allow the both possibility (define an IP address on an interface aliased (eth0:1), or set a secondary IP address on an interface).

I'll also add a set of advanced options for experts administrators to set the server as a load-balancer or as a real server (server that is part of a cluster) --> option that allow to set the VIP Virtual Server Ip on the loopback interface (hidden interface). Maybe Malte can explain better than me the purpose of these advanced options.

Cheer ;
04-05-2010 02:11 AM
rbtux Offline
Moderators

@nuxwin:

yes I know i just wanted to state that its much more straightforward to use the "ip" (iproute2) tools as they handle ipv4/ipv6 addresses the same way and don't distinct between the first assigned address and the aliases (as ifconfig does. Of you course you could but I dont want too :-)).

PS: I'm aware of how the kernel does routing.
04-05-2010 03:24 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

@nuxwin:

(04-04-2010 09:37 PM)nuxwin Wrote:  ...
Your approach is hard to implement because the files for networking data persistence are not the same on all distributions. The configuration on the fly is easier to implement.

But I'm curious, so can you explain your solution.

Maybe you did not understand me... :-)

I think adding/managing the ip addresses should not be part of ispcp - of course ispcp should be able to handle ip already "installed" addresses but the purpose of a tool like ispcp is - IMHO! - not to manage ip adresses (well, this may change with ipv6 - I don't know...).

ok, so "old fashioned" people add their additional ips using the distribution way (/etc/network/interfaces or /etc/sysconfig... etc) - and then they do not need the ispcp-network-script.
On the other hand: some guys do expect adding an ip in ispcp does the whole job in the background......

Maybe a note would be fine when adding an ip in the gui "please note that ispcp takes care about the ip creation..." (or similar...)

It's more a cumunication thing - when I add an ip in ispcp, I don't expect the tool to manage this ip in the system - IMHO it's only to tell ispcp that there is another ip...

well - I wanted to point on this.

/J
04-06-2010 03:12 AM