Current time: 04-26-2024, 05:34 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
We need your help!!! Where is the Community ?
Diggo Offline

Smile RE: We need your help!!! Where is the Community ?
I've registered freshly, because I've been around since about 4 months. This topic seems to me to be a great evidence that the community here is still alive altough there are different opinions around here.
But differences can be cleaned out I think in front of a goal that is making VHCS Omega/ISP-Control the best opensource control panel. You already did a good job. I want to thank everybody that has taken part in this project.

But now here's what I think: I believe that the effort in making a stable release is the better way. Never the less the features Raphael is programming are needed.
Let's say I am a typical VHCS user or a normal rootserver admin. I came to Omega trying out all other Panels like SysCP and ISPconfig.
ISPconfig is in my eyes a stable, but 'weird to use' panel - but it's stable and it upgrades seamless. It has a community that writes tutorials - this is the way they got me testing this first.
SysCP is easy to use, but has a weird homepage...
But both lack one feature that is nowerdays needed - support PHP over FastCGI out of the box.
That's why I stayed with VHCS Omega. But since that day 5 months have been gone. Having a look at the this homepage just suggests me that nothing has happened. I am feeling unconfortable/unsecure about running a beta on my worldwide box. Trying to upgrade to a newer trunk screwed my installation up, so i had to roll-back. Omega is still running, but I won't put my friends on that server before I am confirmed that this system is going to last.

I believe that if you focus on creating a 'first stable' release and adding features step by step is the better way. I saw some people that wanted to program everything perfect, ending up in 'rewriting from scratch' leading to burnout with never releasing one thing that the community could take part in. I guess releasing a stable version followed by newly developed features will gather more resources like artists (themes) and so on.

My situation is now, that I promised some friends, that they can get "self administered" webspace on my rootserver (in a xen DomU) - that was january. I said to them: "when it's done", but if development takes a year (with beeing announced much earlier) some people will feel to be forced to stay with other solutions.

just my 2 cent.

I hope no one will leave this project unsatisfied. Again i want to thank everybody who made this possible so far, yet. Cool
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2007 01:58 AM by Diggo.)
09-04-2007 01:53 AM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: We need your help!!! Where is the Community ? - Diggo - 09-04-2007 01:53 AM