Current time: 09-29-2024, 11:05 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Would you like to setup a ISPCP (Testing) Sever in a home environment?
Yes
No
Your an idiot for even suggesting it!
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
ISPCP with Dynamic IP
JCannon Offline

ISPCP with Dynamic IP
Ok, before I get flamed. I have looked through the forums, and couldn't find the answers I was looking for. BTW the search function on the site is nearly useless. Sad

I am trying to setup to ISPCP server to testing purposes. Unfortunately I am having to set this up at home. Which means for most people setting this up at home means that they will be either setting this up behind NAT or setting it up with a public IP which is subject to change. My ip rarely changes but every once in a while my ISP will do an upgrade which changes my IP (sometimes). I know I can set this up with either option, but each has it's problems.

With NAT: This eliminates the problem of having to change the config every time the IP changes. However it is my understanding that the DNS functions will not work correctly.

Directly Plugged into the Cable Modem: This will give my ISPCP box an external IP, which should allow everything to work correctly. However every time my IP changes I will have to do alot of changing in my config. Now I have found in the forums where you can change the primary IP of the box, but it isn't a very simple process. If this is the only way to achieve this, than I can probably write a script that will automate this process where it will update every time the IP changes. (This setup wouldn't be too much of a problem because currently I have 2 accounts with my ISP, for load balancing, but I can dedicate one to this box if I needed to.)

I know, ISPCP isn't really intended for setting up in a home environment. I am primarily doing this as a test run with some of my more savvy clients, that have additional (non vital) websites. I would like to eventually move away from my CPanel server to ISPCP, but currently I don't feel that it is production ready. I would like to setup some clients on this box for TESTING, I would like to start receiving some feedback from everyday customers. As a developer, a lot of the time I would easily breeze over task that a normal user would find very frustrated. I think this would be a great opportunity to get some feedback, ultimately leading to being a better host. And better prepared when I switch over my Commercial Server.

I look forward to any ideas that you folks may have.

JCannon
02-22-2010 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
ISPCP with Dynamic IP - JCannon - 02-22-2010 08:59 PM
RE: ISPCP with Dynamic IP - kilburn - 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM
RE: ISPCP with Dynamic IP - JCannon - 02-22-2010, 10:14 PM
RE: ISPCP with Dynamic IP - kilburn - 02-22-2010, 10:59 PM
RE: ISPCP with Dynamic IP - mchutchy - 01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
RE: ISPCP with Dynamic IP - motokochan - 01-12-2011, 03:25 AM