Current time: 04-18-2024, 08:19 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How many domains are you running?
ispcomm Offline

RE: How many domains are you running?
This thread is old, but I would like to contribute.

I run an average of 150-250 domains per server using vhcs2 (modified for the purpose ;-). I also have an old server which is serving the same amount of domains (~200) with no control panel (hand installed and tuned). This old server is a dual P-III with 1024MB of ram and 3-disk soft raid-5 running on 120gbyte pata disks. The point is: any server should be enogh provided it's properly installed and tuned. I have notice of P4-3000 with 2Gbyte memory and hardware raid10 pushing an excess of 500 domains per server.

However, vhcs2 and omega (judging from some source code reading) will have trouble crossing the 100domain mark in their default configuration.

The problem is not how fast are the servers but the design and handling of logs, backups, statistics analysis etc. The continuous copying of files, analyzing and updating is killing performance as most of the time is spent copying and handling old data rather than serving sites.

The original vhcs2 I was using (3 years ago) hit it's dead point as soon as I reached the 50 domains mark. The problem gets even worse if a few of the sites are medium-traffic ones (I mean in the range of 1gbyte logs per day).

I would like to start a new thread for optimizing all this stuff (and post my mods) however I'm waiting for 1.0.0 to get out of the gates as any "distraction" would probably delay it's release.

ispcomm
05-05-2008 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How many domains are you running? - hendry - 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
RE: How many domains are you running? - ispcomm - 05-05-2008 05:33 PM