Current time: 05-01-2024, 08:56 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Joomla and FTP
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

RE: Joomla and FTP
Quote:Did you even read the posts kilburn?
Yes, I did.

Quote:I wasn't talking about security. I was talking about the inability of my customer to upload anything to the server except through the net2ftp.
Oh, you were not talking about security. Let's quote your own post:
Quote:I suppose I could create an ftp account for every customer, friend or whomever I set up a virtual host for but doesn't that defeat the purpose and security of having them use the "web2net" ftp?
Hmm... do you even remember what you write? As it is written here, you imply that there's some additional security in forcing your users to use net2ftp instead of FTP. This is not true, and that's what I answered.

Anyway, re-read your posts and quote me the exact phrase where you say that "you have given an account to your user, but it is not working correctly" (which was your actual problem) and I will apologize for not understanding it.

Quote:But some of you need to be barred from helping in a forum until they can learn to be professional and communicate clearly and concisely in a helpfull manner.
I think I've been perfectly clear and professional in all my answers.

The one who did not communicate his problem correctly is you:
Quote:okay, in the setup of the joomla I need to allow it FTP access so I can install extesions etc. however it appears that it's looking for a real ftp account access.
As I said before, net2ftp uses ftp. Thus, if your users can connect to net2ftp, they can use the very same credentials to allow joomla to connect through ftp. Hence, your question as exposed here is plainly wrong and senseless, so we did our best to understand it. Sorry for trying.

Quote:For any others who may experience the same problems after a clean install of the OS and nothing but what ispCP pulls in with the install script. joomla appears to run as a different user, I haven't been able to find out whichone yet, and thus while working with the files and using the ftp account created for the customer to you have to chmod the files and folder that the user uploads to the directory to work with to 777 and after they are done they need to set them back to 440. I had to tell him how to do this from the net2ftp.
You surely should refrain yourself from giving a "helping hand" to other users about a system that you clearly don't know anything about. There's some serious mistake in some of your configurations. Ispcp is setup in such a way that: (1) Each domain uses it's own vuXXXX user (look at /etc/passwd to see the users), and (2) FTP accounts automatically work with the corresponding vuXXXX user. Hence, the website can edit anything that has been uploaded through ftp without fiddling with any permission settings at all. If you need to chmod anything to 777 then you have screwed your system.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2011 04:30 AM by kilburn.)
02-06-2011 04:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Joomla and FTP - =David= - 01-31-2011, 01:42 AM
RE: Joomla and FTP - =David= - 01-31-2011, 03:15 AM
RE: Joomla and FTP - shaggy - 02-03-2011, 04:21 PM
RE: Joomla and FTP - fluser - 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
RE: Joomla and FTP - =David= - 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
RE: Joomla and FTP - kilburn - 02-05-2011, 08:36 PM
RE: Joomla and FTP - =David= - 02-06-2011, 03:59 AM
RE: Joomla and FTP - kilburn - 02-06-2011 04:21 AM