Current time: 05-31-2024, 09:11 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Questions regarding overall setup.
jim.thornton Offline

Questions regarding overall setup.
I have just installed ispCP Omega for the first time, so I am VERY new to this. I have been working with Linux (CentOS 5) for about 1.5 years now and would say my skills are about intermediate at best. I can compile from source and I have setup a server before but had help with configuring BIND. My current VPS provider installed Dovecot for me for use with DirectAdmin.

I have some questions for suggestions:

1. FTP: From searching on the net, it seems that there is an equal number of people that like vsftp, proftpd and pureftpd. It seems as though there is a slight performance advantage using PureFTPd. The concensus seems that vsFTP is the most secure but slower in performance. IspCP by default uses ProFTPd which seems - from the posts I've read - to be slightly behind in performance over PureFTP. I'm looking for suggestions on whether I should switch it or not. I found the thread on here with a tutorial on how to do it, but SHOULD I do it? Also... Will it make things more difficult in the future when upgrading ispCP or should it not matter?

2. MTA: Again, same question except that it seems hands down that Dovecot wins in all forums as the preferred MTA (which makes me wonder why it isn't supported from orginal install. Anyway... If I change to Dovecot, will there possibly be any future problems?

3. Security: Is there anything in particular that I should do in order to secure ispCP, or is it pretty secure "out of the box"?

Finally... I notice that when checking out the Server Status there were some services listed that I don't know:

a. Policyd-Weight: Should I be installing this?
b. ispCP Daemon: This is showing as not running for some reason.
c. AMAVIS: Should I be installing this?
d. PostGrey: Should I be isntalling this?

I appreciate any help I can get here.
08-02-2009 03:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Questions regarding overall setup. - jim.thornton - 08-02-2009 03:38 PM