Current time: 04-19-2024, 11:04 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Oohh I would like to vote for...
All these features would be great!
Thought 1 sounds useful
Thought 2 sounds useful
Thought 3 sounds useful
No this guy is a fool!
[Show Results]

Future of the rights model? Automation & Graph's
mike548141 Offline

Future of the rights model? Automation & Graph's
Hi,

Thought 1 -
Is there a plan for AAA (Authentication, Authorisation and Auditing) in the future?

I usually prefer granular level rights management systems e.g. attribute level control (C.R.W.M.S.D) with lots of generic objects (owner, creator, authenticated, anonymous etc...) to assign rights to other than users, devices, locations, groups etc... That said I quite like the role based rights system in ispCP, as I understand it,
1) An admin is focused upon server management tasks i.e. total utilisation, peak loads, storage available, IP management, service availability etc...
2) The reseller is focused on hosting plans, sales revenue, orders etc...
3) The user is focused on SQL databases, web aliases, mail, user's etc...

But I wonder if the user should be in two categories i.e. domain manager and user. So rather than signing in as the domain name all accounts associated with a domain (for ftp, email, web auth etc...) are domain user's until one (or more) are elevated by the reseller to be the domain manager giving them the ability to create/modify/elevate/disable/delete other user accounts on the domain, create databases yada yada yada.

[EDIT:] The other thing here is abstracting the user account from the domain. Making the domain a relationship to a user object instead of part of the rights hierarchy.
This way a single user account may participate in multiple domains.

Thought 2 -
Are there thoughts/plans on adding the ability to script actions that can be initiated by the user e.g. a user buys a domain name via a reseller and sets up their user's mail, ftp etc... but then they want a Wordpress blog on their site.
As the reseller I can write scripts that will automatically set up Wordpress for them within their domain but the ideal would be a "Modules" section for the user. As an example the user would go to Modules, select a product to add e.g. Wordpress, WikiMedia, MyBB and press the go button. This would initiate a script with a parameter of the domain name that would run away and set up the product for that domain. It could look up values from the database if required for customisation.
With the modules section in place we could all submit scripts for different products to be included with ispCP.

Thought 3 -
I don't know how hard it would be to get the metrics but including some graphs of peak download (network), disk usage and requests would be a pretty good bonus for all three roles (admin, reseller & user).

Hopefully you see these as useful thoughts.

Ta,

MC
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2010 12:38 PM by mike548141.)
04-09-2010 04:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RatS Offline
Project Leader

RE: Future of the rights model? Automation & Graph's
(04-09-2010 04:14 AM)mike548141 Wrote:  Thought 2 -
Are there thoughts/plans on adding the ability to script actions that can be initiated by the user e.g. a user buys a domain name via a reseller and sets up their user's mail, ftp etc... but then they want a Wordpress blog on their site.
As the reseller I can write scripts that will automatically set up Wordpress for them within their domain but the ideal would be a "Modules" section for the user. As an example the user would go to Modules, select a product to add e.g. Wordpress, WikiMedia, MyBB and press the go button. This would initiate a script with a parameter of the domain name that would run away and set up the product for that domain. It could look up values from the database if required for customisation.
With the modules section in place we could all submit scripts for different products to be included with ispCP.

This can be done with the Software Installer developed at the moment. We have a branch for this that will be moved to the trunk on day.

(04-09-2010 04:14 AM)mike548141 Wrote:  Thought 3 -
I don't know how hard it would be to get the metrics but including some graphs of peak download (network), disk usage and requests would be a pretty good bonus for all three roles (admin, reseller & user).

We already have a system overview for the administrator. Graphs are just a gimmick we can add when we have more useful things (SSL, Cron, etc.) done.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2010 04:26 PM by RatS.)
04-09-2010 09:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mike548141 Offline

RE: Future of the rights model? Automation & Graph's
@RatS - Champion thanks for the info

MC
04-09-2010 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply