Current time: 04-25-2024, 06:46 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Main Problem with ispCP vs Other CPs
pstanbra Offline

Main Problem with ispCP vs Other CPs
Well this is a totally unbiased bit of feedback for ANY free open source package.

The main problem with open source vs paid for products such as Plesk and CPanel is the lack of support. Although I have had a few responses to my queries from the dedicated team, what happens when you're in a situation where you desperately need help but all you have to rely on is a forum with only a few members online who tend to be other users looking for answers to their problems too.

Open Source is a great idea - but like anything in life, has it's drawbacks. Whilst the product may be sturdy and reliable - where do you actually stand in the event of an emergency?

Can you really put all your eggs in one basket when the basket isn't strong enough to carry the weight?

I think if ISPcp, ISPConfig or any other free panel is to succeed, it need to have a dedicated team able to sort out issues fast. This is something that only teams such as the Ubuntu project have but of course, on a fee/per incident basis.

hmmm...
I'm stuck with ispCP right now and cannot get any help.
This is the problem.
05-25-2010 11:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dcreation Offline

RE: Main Problem with ispCP vs Other CPs
I searched for your threads but the 2-3 of them with your problems are not related to ispcp but linux in common. (Or the services running on it.) You will -never- get support from plesk/confixx staff for your operating system.
05-26-2010 12:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Quote:I think if ISPcp, ISPConfig or any other free panel is to succeed, it need to have a dedicated team able to sort out issues fast. This is something that only teams such as the Ubuntu project have but of course, on a fee/per incident basis.

You might be right here. Nevertheless, in line with dcreation's comment, I have to add that you are using an untested distribution version, something you should definitely avoid unless you're just experimenting and willing to deal with the hassle.

PS: Installation docs for ubuntu clearly state:
Quote:Linux Distros: Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10
05-26-2010 01:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pstanbra Offline

Quote:You might be right here. Nevertheless, in line with dcreation's comment, I have to add that you are using an untested distribution version, something you should definitely avoid unless you're just experimenting and willing to deal with the hassle.
I'm using stable release 1.0.5 For a newbie who's newish to linux - it's difficult as not everyone has a choice of linux distribution or version. I'm not knocking the work - of course - it's great. If it works - i've not got that far!
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2010 01:54 AM by pstanbra.)
05-26-2010 01:54 AM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

No matter your actual problems, paid support is always an advantage and a "nice-to-have" feature for an open source software system. However, a software needs to be major enough to have a base of customers who need and want to pay for support. If there are two calls a day than it's a lost business. It's not that we never thought about this idea.
05-26-2010 07:38 PM