Current time: 05-28-2024, 09:26 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ispCP on local machine?
DirkHo Offline

ispCP on local machine?
Hi all,

I'd like to rent a VServer but before I do so, I'd like to test out ispCP and its installation first - so if I have problems installing or configuring it I can try it on my local machine first, so that I don't have to pay for the VServer without using it.

Is it possible to do so without having a real top level domain? Can I use a local domain like dirk.local?

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
06-23-2010 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: ispCP on local machine?
Hi

you can use any name (full qualified) - as long as you solve the problem of resolving it...

but dirk.local is not bad as domain, and server.dirk.local as FQHN...

then you may adopt the host file on the client machine so you can connect with this name....

/J
06-23-2010 06:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DirkHo Offline

Hi joximu,

thanks for your fast repsonse!

Are there any tutorials how to resolve a full qualified name? I'm not such a pro in debian. I have virtual machines working at home but I think, I never resolved a full qualified name O:-)

I found a tutorial in the internet how to install it (http://www.lonesomewalker.de/downloads/i...tung.pdf). It's in german, but hopefully it contains all I need.

I think the best thing is to start installing using this tutorial and when there are problems I google or ask here.

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
06-23-2010 06:33 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Hi Dirk

I don't know how old the docu from lonesomewalker is - maybe better also check the INSTALL file in the sources... (docu/debian/INSTALL)

the resolution just means that eg. the browser finds the correct IP address to a given name.

So if you want to use a browser on windows to configure the ispcp panel (internally) then you may enter the hostname and ip in the windows host file.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (or something like this) - google helps...

you also may enter the info in a router so every host in the lan can resolve the private hostname...

/J
06-23-2010 07:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DirkHo Offline

Hi joximu,

(06-23-2010 07:01 PM)joximu Wrote:  I don't know how old the docu from lonesomewalker is - maybe better also check the INSTALL file in the sources... (docu/debian/INSTALL)

it's only for ispCP 1.0.0, I saw, the actual version is 1.0.5...

(06-23-2010 07:01 PM)joximu Wrote:  the resolution just means that eg. the browser finds the correct IP address to a given name.

So if you want to use a browser on windows to configure the ispcp panel (internally) then you may enter the hostname and ip in the windows host file.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts (or something like this) - google helps...

Ah, ok. Now I know, what you mean. I already have a Debian VM running on my Windows Vista Laptop. This Debian VM has Apache2, PHP5, mySQL,.. installed and I can also run this server just entering blubb.bla in my browser. So, that's something I know how to solve it. Wink

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
06-23-2010 07:09 PM
DirkHo Offline

Hi,

now I ordered my new server. And I have another question: Until my server works correct I won't take one of my productiv domains to the server, so I need to install ispCP only on the IP of the server.

Is this a problem? Or does it just work like having a domain instead?

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2010 02:50 AM by DirkHo.)
06-26-2010 02:49 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

You should know what's the servername - maybe you can choose a new one (e.g. server-new.yourdomain.tld) and then you can work with this FQ-hostname.
Of course you have to add this host in the dns-zone....

And also - the URL you want to use for the panel (eg. adminpanel.yourdomain.tld) - you can use this.

And with this you may install the domains - you can test the website 1 with vu2001.adminpanel.yourdomain.tld).

Everything else is a task of "move-management" :-)

/J
06-27-2010 08:07 PM
DirkHo Offline

Hi joximu,

thanks for your response. My server is not yet setup. But I read, my hostname is vserver-123-3452-38.dedicated.hosteurope.de (I changed it a little bit).

So, I'll use this one for setting up ispCP. Wink

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
06-28-2010 04:45 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

I wouldn't.

Because you have no influence on this domain (remember -> there will be subdomains for customers...)

Create a hostname and a panel-URL by yourselve - with your domain!

create a a record in the DNS, point to your server. etc etc

Before using Mails - also setup the PTR (IP->Hostname) - should be possible in the host-europe panel.

/J
06-28-2010 05:49 PM
DirkHo Offline

Thanks for your intervention!

I will create an own hostname and my own url to the control panel. Hopefully my server will be available soon, so I can start.

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
06-28-2010 11:28 PM