Current time: 04-20-2024, 07:36 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DNS Zone problems - Adding new zone & subdomain conflicts
edeis Offline

DNS Zone problems - Adding new zone & subdomain conflicts
Here is a problem which has been posted about a few times in the forum. I would like to add some more information to help us diagnose and create a how-to to properly solve this. There are some cases where it does not work.

Question:
I edited the DNS manaully, but is still got overwritten by the DNS template in /etc/ispcp/bind/parts after adding a new zone ispCP.

The solution is suppose to be to edit /etc/ispcp/bind/working and copy the file to bind running on the server.

Here's the DNS files on my machine, you can see same size after editing.
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2528 Jun 25 11:49 /etc/ispcp/bind/working/domainname.com.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2528 Jun 25 11:49 /var/named/data/domainname.com.db

Testing:
This works okay if you create a new subdomain in ispCP. It keeps your manual changes to the DNS file.

Problem:
If the client uses the Add DNS zone record (experimental) feature in ispCP and adds a new zone record, your DNS file is overwritten from the template in /etc/ispcp/bind/parts. It not only overwrites what manual changes you did to the DNS file, but it also omits any subdomains that were created, as the new DNS file is generated strictly from the template and any entries in the Add DNS zone record (experimental) section.

How can this one be fixed? I am missing something?

Here's some more data to help diagnose:
-After the new dns zone has been created via ispCP. the status of the subdomains all turn to "unknown error" on the manage domains page.
-if you go into /admin/ispcp_debugger.php you will see the subdomain errors
-you can restore the lost subdomains by clicking "set status to change".
-now you can have both the subdomain entries and custom dns zone that you set in ispCP. However the manually DNS entries you made by changing the file in /etc/ispcp/bind/working are lost.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2010 05:34 AM by edeis.)
06-26-2010 05:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nuxwin
Unregistered

RE: DNS Zone problems - Adding new zone & subdomain conflicts
I've received your PM but, I prefer answer to you here.

The current manual DNS feature is unworkable due to several bugs and bad implementation. Several bugs exists (included the bugs described in your post). It's more easy to rewrite this feature from scratch instead to try to fix a bad implementation of it. So, I can't provide any fix for the current implementation because I've not fixed it. I've rewritten all this feature from scratch. New implementation will be introduced with ispCP version 1.0.6.
06-27-2010 05:13 AM
Quote this message in a reply
edeis Offline

RE: DNS Zone problems - Adding new zone & subdomain conflicts
Okay. Thanks. I will disable the manual DNS feature for clients until 1.0.6 is released.
06-27-2010 05:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply