Current time: 05-23-2024, 11:59 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hostname leads to ispCP, not admin.hostname
DirkHo Offline

Hostname leads to ispCP, not admin.hostname
Hi,

today I got my server, installed ispCP and have made a mistake, I think.

As hostname I have http://www.example.org (instead of example.org of cource my domain). So, I was asked for the subomain to the ispCP and pressed enter for admin.www.example.org.

But what a pitty, this doesn't work but entering example.org or http://www.example.org in the browser leads me to ispCP. Can I change this by reconfiguring anyway?

Another question: I used root for mysql-user. I think this was not that clever, so I would like to add a new user and use this one for mysql. Which permissions does he have to have? Or do I need a "root"-user for ispCP?

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
06-29-2010 05:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: Hostname leads to ispCP, not admin.hostname
as long as you don't have a "customer" example.org configured on the server - ispcp will answer the requests to this domain...

ispcp needs a mysql user with mysql root privilages - but it doesn't have to be "root".

Create one and use the change paswd howto in the doku (there is also a note how to change the name of the user).

/J
06-29-2010 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DirkHo Offline

Hi joximu,

thanks for your answer! I did the fault first to add a reseller and to this reseller I added a user - with the domain dirk.example.org. But this "temporary" subdomain didn't work (is there no possibility to give an account a subdomain of my "main" domain?).

Now I deleted my user and added it new with the domain example.org, now, I get the default page and what a pitty, when I try to login as admin on the isp-control, I can't - the page is not loaded typing admin.example.org or admin.www.example.org - hopefully this is because of the proxy at work.

Is there a possibility to change the domain to the ispCP on the Shell?

I will create a new database user with root privileges but other name. Thanks for that information!

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
06-29-2010 04:35 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

There's a faq or howto how to change the fqdn.
You also can change the main ispcp url - in /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf - and in the apache config (00_master.conf)

It should be possible to use only subdomains to a certain domain (dirk.example.com) - as long as you do not use the main domain in ispcp (you can put it in an include file - but no mails (@example.com) will be managebale with ispcp...).

You always should be able to reach ispcp with the server ip as URL....

/J
06-29-2010 07:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DirkHo Offline

Hi joximu,

you are simply the best! I was able to get into ispCP with the IP. Now I tried webmailer (new email, send, receive), phpmyadmin (new db,..), FTP (edit file(s),..).

Everything works great (I didn't receive the answer to my send email yet, even if I sent one with my business address), but I'll see at home. I have to look where the logfiles are.

Changing the FQDN I have to search for the FAQ at home and I think, I can change the FQDN.

I'm soooo glad that everything works so good until now (excepting smaller problems like the above)! I'm not a Linux pro and also not a ispCP pro, so I'm just glad! Wink

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Dirk
06-29-2010 08:24 PM
DirkHo Offline

Hi again,

I changed /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts, /etc/my.hosts and /etc/mailname from
80.80.80.80 http://www.example.org to 80.80.80.80 example.org so that I hoped my admin.example.org would work to reach ispCP that way - but it didn't.

Do I have to enter the admin.example.org in any of the above files?

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk
06-30-2010 01:46 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

remember:
an FQHostname is not only a domain - and also is not supposed to be the same as an URL-Hostname.

so - be creative and give your server a name - eg. bobby, then the fqdn is bobby.example.org

the reverse lookup for the server ip should also be bobby.example.org

the other thing is the url you want to use for ispcp - especially the "temp" url for customers: vu20xx.admin.example.org - if admin.example.org is the ispcp-url....

Clear?
/J
06-30-2010 07:12 AM