Current time: 04-21-2024, 12:09 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[Resolved] Subdomain status - Unknown Error
nexusis Offline

[Resolved] Subdomain status - Unknown Error
I see a number of occurances of this, but nothing seems to fit my situation.

I'm running 1.0.5 on Deb - virtually brand new install.

I *had* a subdomain "secure" for a domain, mounted against "/secure". It was working until sometime recently (I cant exactly tell when - its a stub dir at the moment - just the usual ispcp initial files so no real traffic, and the last spider request was ~0400h today).

I added a whole pile of 'A' and 'CNAME' entries to the domain config today ~1330h.

At the time, everything looked normal in the dns manager.

However tonight, the 'secure' subdomain is showing status "unknown error". Sure enough, I can find no dns entries in any of the bind db files for it, and the secure subdomain was unavailable.

The 'secure' domain only exists once in the ispcp.conf file - as a virtual host against port 80 of a specific IP.

I have been able to successfully add a new subdomain ('test') and it's ok.

Manually adding the lines to the domain's bind db files for 'secure' (mirroring 'test') gets DNS resolution again -- but ispCP still shows a status of "unknown error". Not sure I want to keep that there though.

When I look into the ispcp database, the status on the 'secure' subdomain is 'dnschange'. The only other thread I see mentioning this says to delete the subdomain and re-add.... but my available actions are "N/A".. and while I can click on that, and it does ask if I want to delete the subdomain - it doesnt do anything.

I was doing pre-work to setup the 'secure' subdomain for SSL - but had not activated the config for it yet. I'm not sure how that could have affected anything.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2010 01:12 PM by nexusis.)
07-16-2010 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nuxwin
Unregistered

RE: Subdomain status - Unknown Error
Hello ;

Unfortunately, the feature for manual DNS entries don't working very well. That for why we have marked it as EXPERIMENTAL. For now, I recommends to you to delete manually all the DNS entries in the database (custom_dns table) and then, rerun the ispCP update script (/var/www/ispcp/engine/setup/ispcp-update) to regenerate all your configuration files (included the bind zone files).

If you want any assistance for this task, tell us.

Best Regards ;

Note: All DNS entries manually added in your DNS zone files will be removed each time you'll change anything from the customer interface for the related object.
07-16-2010 01:16 PM
Quote this message in a reply
nexusis Offline

(07-16-2010 01:16 PM)Nuxwin Wrote:  Unfortunately, the feature for manual DNS entries don't working very well. That for why we have marked it as EXPERIMENTAL.

Yes, I'm (painfully Tongue) aware of that .. do you want a bug report opened on this? I dont have a lot of info on how it occured, but just to track it?

Quote:For now, I recommends to you to delete manually all the DNS entries in the database (custom_dns table) and then, rerun the ispCP update script (/var/www/ispcp/engine/setup/ispcp-update) to regenerate all your configuration files (included the bind zone files).

There is a domian_dns table ... is this the one you mean?

Quote:Note: All DNS entries manually added in your DNS zone files will be removed each time you'll change anything from the customer interface for the related object.

Does this apply even if added with the appropriate ispcp comment lines?
07-17-2010 02:05 AM
nexusis Offline

(07-16-2010 01:16 PM)Nuxwin Wrote:  rerun the ispCP update script (/var/www/ispcp/engine/setup/ispcp-update) to regenerate all your configuration files (included the bind zone files).

I'm just about to run this script... and there's a wonderful warning that pops up... and its got me concerned.

Exactly what am I about to do??? This is a live server, I cant be futzing with everything - I need to be more like a surgeon and just touch what needs to be corrected.
07-17-2010 08:08 AM
Nuxwin
Unregistered

Hu ;

First: For the table name, yes you right. I've the new table on my machine...

About the script, What is the warn ?
07-17-2010 09:41 AM
nexusis Offline

(07-17-2010 09:41 AM)Nuxwin Wrote:  Hu ;

It writes out:

Code:
Welcome to ispCP '1.0.5 OMEGA' Update Dialog.

This program will update your current ispCP OMEGA installation on this
        server.
        Please make sure you did a backup of all your server data.

NOTE: During the migration process some or all services might require to
        be shut down.

WARNING: Only services that are not marked with 'NO' in your ispcp.conf
        configuration file will be processed by this program.

Do you want to continue [Y/n]:

I'm not trying to migrate anything - I dont (think I) want to regenerate the whole system...

Its taken me the better part of a week to get the system back up and running to this point... (the old RH5.2 system this replaces died a horrible death)

I just want to fix whatever is broken...
(07-17-2010 09:41 AM)Nuxwin Wrote:  Hu ;

Hey - I was able to "fix" this.... I remembered back to when I got my box from the datacenter admins - they couldnt name it what I wanted because of some problem with ispcp not liking names with "." in them...

Well, I had added a CNAME record for a subdomain which contained a "." in it. I guess the domain management processing doesnt seem to like that either.

I removed the CNAME in question, and when the reprocessing completed, the subdomain status changed back to OK.

Problem solved... Big Grin (except I'll have to manually add in the CNAME for the sub-subdomain)
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2010 12:59 PM by nexusis.)
07-17-2010 12:47 PM
Nuxwin
Unregistered

Well , I'm happy for you. Wink

Note: The warn is just a generic advertisement for stupid users...

Note2: The update script can be used both for migration and for regenerate all your current configuration files with the current data from the database to fix all's your mistakes.

Please, change this thread as resolved by renaming the title of your first post.

Good luck with ispCP.
07-17-2010 01:06 PM
nexusis Offline

(07-17-2010 01:06 PM)Nuxwin Wrote:  Please, change this thread as resolved by renaming the title of your first post.

Good luck with ispCP.

Done - and thanks for all your help.

Can I assume that this problem with "." in names is a known generic issue, or do you want me to open a bug report on it specific to the domain manager problem I had?
07-17-2010 01:16 PM
Nuxwin
Unregistered

RE: [Resolved] Subdomain status - Unknown Error
You can open a new ticket if you want ; I'll inspect it later. Please, describes the problem in understandable manner.

You can thank me here too : http://isp-control.net/forum/reputation.php?uid=147 Smile
07-17-2010 01:19 PM