Current time: 04-20-2024, 04:02 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NFS advice
ProServ-UK Offline

NFS advice
Im planning on setting up a NFS system so my main IspCP server can use my other servers hdd space... would it be recomended to use debian etch on the 2 secondry servers or will it be ok using fedora OS that is already on them ? im thinking about a new install of debian etch on them both but i would just like some comments on what others think before i go ahead and do fresh install's on them...

Regards rickie
08-21-2007 06:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: NFS advice
it doesn't matter what system to use as nfs system - you just have to make sure that the username <-> uids are mapped the same on your servers.

Btw - i hope you really know what you're doing with that - file IO for webservers can be very heavy and using webroots over nfs is not a good choice ...

its more the seeking on 100-1000's of files than the total throughput which is slowing things down a lot.
08-22-2007 02:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsmithgs Offline

ProServ-UK Wrote:Im planning on setting up a NFS system so my main IspCP server can use my other servers hdd space... would it be recomended to use debian etch on the 2 secondry servers or will it be ok using fedora OS that is already on them ? im thinking about a new install of debian etch on them both but i would just like some comments on what others think before i go ahead and do fresh install's on them...

Regards rickie

Probably not a great idea for the actual websites bbbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttt easy enough to use nfs to use the other server for email.

Plus the average mail box is probably larger then the average website anyway.
08-22-2007 05:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ProServ-UK Offline

well it is mainly for the email side of things, so thats my main reason for it the websites will be on the main server
08-22-2007 05:59 AM
rsmithgs Offline

ProServ-UK Wrote:well it is mainly for the email side of things, so thats my main reason for it the websites will be on the main server

I'll try to get some multi server documentation knocked up the weekend.
08-22-2007 04:17 PM
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

Thanks rsmithgs, looking forward to the HOWTO. Then once its finalised, it would be good to have in the WIKI.
08-22-2007 09:38 PM
rsmithgs Offline

BioALIEN Wrote:Thanks rsmithgs, looking forward to the HOWTO. Then once its finalised, it would be good to have in the WIKI.
Cool, I'll write it, Rick can test it and then get it in the Wiki
08-22-2007 09:44 PM
ProServ-UK Offline

i sure will not a problem there Smile cant wait to get it tested Smile
08-22-2007 09:58 PM
ProServ-UK Offline

any updates on the multi server set up ? has it worked rsmithgs ? Smile im dying to find out lol the suspence is a killer Wink
08-25-2007 02:02 AM
rsmithgs Offline

ProServ-UK Wrote:any updates on the multi server set up ? has it worked rsmithgs ? Smile im dying to find out lol the suspence is a killer Wink
Sorry for the late reply, I've been drinking up Broad Street.

Last time I tried it I successfully separated the mail and web servers. I was having a problem separating the mysql database from the web server.

It on the list of things to replicate and document tomorrow Smile
08-25-2007 07:14 AM