Current time: 04-17-2024, 03:24 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Proper OS Support Listing
motokochan Offline

Proper OS Support Listing
Okay, this one has been bothering me for a while, and seeing what's gone on with the CentOS support in 1.0.7 (after being away for a while) just kinda reminded me.

Please, please, please clean up the supported OS list. For instance, you mention Slackware as supported. It's not. It's nowhere near supported. If it was, I'd be trying to maintain it (I'm a big Slackware user). Please stop listing OSes that are not properly tested and supported.

As for supporting things like CentOS/RHEL, try to avoid breaking things. For instance, 1.0.7 release won't work on RHEL/CentOS currently due to the lack of Perl 5.10. Yes, you can compile it yourself. Yes, you will lose paid support (in the case of RHEL) and package management (for both) in compiling Perl itself.

If you are going to release like this, consider a "tiered" system of support listings. Tier 1 would include systems you know (because you tested them) will work. This is your top tier. Second tier would be systems that are known to work, but might have issues. FreeBSD would be an example of this level. Third tier would be systems that have been maintained in the past but are untested.

That leads to a larger complaint about bundling bugfixes and new features into the same release, but that is a completely different issue. (Don't bring up lack of manpower into that. If you handle it right, it can be less work.) I'll post about that in a little.
12-15-2010 04:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
motokochan Offline

RE: Proper OS Support Listing
87 views and no comments? Sad...
12-29-2010 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: Proper OS Support Listing
(12-29-2010 11:47 AM)motokochan Wrote:  87 views and no comments? Sad...

No ... the idea is right - and we know, we need to rework this urgently.
12-30-2010 12:54 AM