Current time: 04-26-2024, 08:26 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

diffrence between als_add_named_cfg_data and _dmn_add_named_cfg_data and others
uwe Offline

diffrence between als_add_named_cfg_data and _dmn_add_named_cfg_data and others
Hello,

I'm trying to rewrite parts of the DNS management, i've noticed extreme similarity between functions used in various managers , one example is als_add_named_cfg_data and _dmn_add_named_cfg_data . is there any reason for having a duplicate code for those ? or maybe im missing something !

im planning to move it to a common code unless there is a good reason not to, i would also appreciate if there are other DNS related functions you think are duplicates of code (in dmn, als, sub, alssub)

Cheers,
01-03-2011 02:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: diffrence between als_add_named_cfg_data and _dmn_add_named_cfg_data and others
(01-03-2011 02:31 AM)uwe Wrote:  Hello,

I'm trying to rewrite parts of the DNS management, i've noticed extreme similarity between functions used in various managers , one example is als_add_named_cfg_data and _dmn_add_named_cfg_data . is there any reason for having a duplicate code for those ? or maybe im missing something !

im planning to move it to a common code unless there is a good reason not to, i would also appreciate if there are other DNS related functions you think are duplicates of code (in dmn, als, sub, alssub)

Cheers,

It is an old thing long planned to be finally removed ... but still isn't.
The thing is the "Alias" Domain...

It's normally the same like the main domain - except that the "main" domain aka first domain of the user is the main directory - and "alias" domain's are just like addon domains.

We had a lot of plans to remove this and switch to something like /var/www/virtual/vu2010 instead of /var/www/virtual/<user10s-main-domain> ... but it did not happened at this point in time.

IF you really like to rework this part of the code - we would be more then happy ... but you will need some assistance from our team - and you can get it of course (if you like) .

So to answer the question : Other than these historical reasons for having "alias" domains ... no ... there's nothing else really logical or meaningful in it Smile
01-05-2011 04:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uwe Offline

RE: diffrence between als_add_named_cfg_data and _dmn_add_named_cfg_data and others
(01-05-2011 04:24 AM)ephigenie Wrote:  It is an old thing long planned to be finally removed ... but still isn't.
The thing is the "Alias" Domain...

It's normally the same like the main domain - except that the "main" domain aka first domain of the user is the main directory - and "alias" domain's are just like addon domains.

i see, well, since i'm concentrating on the DNS specifically, the main directory is irrelevant i would say. the two functions would be identical and using the same template of records.

Quote:IF you really like to rework this part of the code - we would be more then happy ... but you will need some assistance from our team - and you can get it of course (if you like) .

I would really like to rework this part, what i want to do is to get optional support of PowerDNS, im "trying" to create a module PDNS, another for BIND ..etc. i already got a working code that generates both BIND (current code) and PDNS (new code, using PowerDNS::Backend::MySQL ) with (relatively) little changes to current code.

i would appreciate if desired structure was explained, i will post a patch, the code is not very clean (or maybe its terrible), but does all the basics ( named add/del for dmn, als, sub, alssub).

note you'll need to apply patch to PowerDNS::Backend::MySQL to be able to delete domains.

Attached File(s)
.zip  dns.diff.zip (Size: 5.02 KB / Downloads: 16)
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 12:23 PM by uwe.)
01-06-2011 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply