Current time: 04-18-2024, 06:02 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Joomla and FTP
=David= Offline

Joomla and FTP
okay here's the deal. I have install ispCP and it works wonderfully. I have given myself a reseller account and with that created a virtual host for my personal website. I used the web2net to upload all the joomla files to the htdocs directory. That worked great as well.

Joomla - grrrr

okay, in the setup of the joomla I need to allow it FTP access so I can install extesions etc. however it appears that it's looking for a real ftp account access. I suppose I could create an ftp account for every customer, friend or whomever I set up a virtual host for but doesn't that defeat the purpose and security of having them use the "web2net" ftp?

is there a way to get joomla to use the ftp access already created for the customer by ispCP?
01-31-2011 01:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
=David= Offline

RE: Joomla and FTP
hmm tried create a new user on the system and using that to login via an ftp client. and it appears that I can't connect. I can still download and up load via net2ftp. I really need these ispCP user account to be able to log in via an ftp client. Have I got something setup wrong?
01-31-2011 03:15 AM
shaggy Offline

ensure that you are loggin them in with the full ftp username as in on my system the user created by ispCP is user@domain.tld and then the password, also I found that unless your using browser FTP then just input domain.tld into the server field and ensure you have forward both FTP ports to you server if your using a Firewall/Router
02-03-2011 04:21 PM
fluser Offline
Documentation Team
Docu Team

Quote:okay, in the setup of the joomla I need to allow it FTP access so I can install extesions etc. however it appears that it's looking for a real ftp account access. I suppose I could create an ftp account for every customer, friend or whomever I set up a virtual host for but doesn't that defeat the purpose and security of having them use the "web2net" ftp?

Joomla doesn't really need FTP. This is only a nice to haveWink

Best Regards
Fluser
02-03-2011 08:13 PM
=David= Offline

(02-03-2011 08:13 PM)fluser Wrote:  Joomla doesn't really need FTP. This is only a nice to haveWink

Best Regards
Fluser

You know what fluser, no-one, not I nor the user with the DNS issue, appriciate rude and/or condescending remarks from from someone, such as yourself, who appears to be in a position to be truly helpful.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2011 02:41 PM by =David=.)
02-04-2011 12:31 PM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

I think you've misunderstood something here.

First, what fluser means is that you can upload the extensions directly to the server and they will work just as fine as if you do directly through joomla's admin interface. Hence, I think it's a perfectly nice advice, and not rude by any means.

Second, net2ftp (not web2net) is no more secure than FTP in any way. In fact, it uses FTP underneath, acting as a bridge between the HTTP and FTP transports. Thus, there's no reason to avoid giving your users FTP access if you let them upload things through net2ftp.

Finally, ispcp lets you create FTP accounts for the domains pretty easily. You do *not* need to manually create system users nor anything like that...
02-05-2011 08:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
=David= Offline

Did you even read the posts kilburn?

>First, what fluser means is that you can upload the extensions directly to the server and >they will work just as fine as if you do directly through joomla's admin interface. Hence, I >think it's a perfectly nice advice, and not rude by any means

I don't give a crap what he meant. That isn't what he said. "Joomla doesn't really need FTP. This is only a nice to have" is about as helpfull as cup of water on my motherboard.

>Second, net2ftp (not web2net) is no more secure than FTP in any way. In fact, it uses FTP >underneath, acting as a bridge between the HTTP and FTP transports. Thus, there's no >reason to avoid giving your users FTP access if you let them upload things through net2ftp.

I wasn't talking about security. I was talking about the inability of my customer to upload anything to the server except through the net2ftp.

>Finally, ispcp lets you create FTP accounts for the domains pretty easily. You do
>*not* need to manually create system users nor anything like that...

ah yeah. I know that. hence my question in the first post
"is there a way to get joomla to use the ftp access already created for the customer by ispCP?" I had allready created the ftp user in ispCP.

Now I love ispCP it truly rocks. But some of you need to be barred from helping in a forum until they can learn to be professional and communicate clearly and concisely in a helpfull manner.

As it turns out I fixed my problem and it had nothing to do with ispCP.

For any others who may experience the same problems after a clean install of the OS and nothing but what ispCP pulls in with the install script. joomla appears to run as a different user, I haven't been able to find out whichone yet, and thus while working with the files and using the ftp account created for the customer to you have to chmod the files and folder that the user uploads to the directory to work with to 777 and after they are done they need to set them back to 440. I had to tell him how to do this from the net2ftp.

now for the external ftp client failure I am ashamed to admit that the problem was in my router. I didn't have the passive ftp ports triggering to be opened.
02-06-2011 03:59 AM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

Quote:Did you even read the posts kilburn?
Yes, I did.

Quote:I wasn't talking about security. I was talking about the inability of my customer to upload anything to the server except through the net2ftp.
Oh, you were not talking about security. Let's quote your own post:
Quote:I suppose I could create an ftp account for every customer, friend or whomever I set up a virtual host for but doesn't that defeat the purpose and security of having them use the "web2net" ftp?
Hmm... do you even remember what you write? As it is written here, you imply that there's some additional security in forcing your users to use net2ftp instead of FTP. This is not true, and that's what I answered.

Anyway, re-read your posts and quote me the exact phrase where you say that "you have given an account to your user, but it is not working correctly" (which was your actual problem) and I will apologize for not understanding it.

Quote:But some of you need to be barred from helping in a forum until they can learn to be professional and communicate clearly and concisely in a helpfull manner.
I think I've been perfectly clear and professional in all my answers.

The one who did not communicate his problem correctly is you:
Quote:okay, in the setup of the joomla I need to allow it FTP access so I can install extesions etc. however it appears that it's looking for a real ftp account access.
As I said before, net2ftp uses ftp. Thus, if your users can connect to net2ftp, they can use the very same credentials to allow joomla to connect through ftp. Hence, your question as exposed here is plainly wrong and senseless, so we did our best to understand it. Sorry for trying.

Quote:For any others who may experience the same problems after a clean install of the OS and nothing but what ispCP pulls in with the install script. joomla appears to run as a different user, I haven't been able to find out whichone yet, and thus while working with the files and using the ftp account created for the customer to you have to chmod the files and folder that the user uploads to the directory to work with to 777 and after they are done they need to set them back to 440. I had to tell him how to do this from the net2ftp.
You surely should refrain yourself from giving a "helping hand" to other users about a system that you clearly don't know anything about. There's some serious mistake in some of your configurations. Ispcp is setup in such a way that: (1) Each domain uses it's own vuXXXX user (look at /etc/passwd to see the users), and (2) FTP accounts automatically work with the corresponding vuXXXX user. Hence, the website can edit anything that has been uploaded through ftp without fiddling with any permission settings at all. If you need to chmod anything to 777 then you have screwed your system.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2011 04:30 AM by kilburn.)
02-06-2011 04:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply