Current time: 05-21-2024, 11:47 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Secondary DNS
jdcooke Offline

Secondary DNS
I have got Ispcp up and running now I want to set up a secondary dns server I cant seem to find any information on how to do this can somebody point me in the right direction?
09-14-2007 09:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DmT Offline

RE: Secondary DNS
jdcooke Wrote:I have got Ispcp up and running now I want to set up a secondary dns server I cant seem to find any information on how to do this can somebody point me in the right direction?

thats a good question... :S
09-20-2007 03:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Until now ispcp does not really set up the secondary dns. It only sets up the master dns for working with the given secondary dns (formerly known as "slave").
You put the ip of the secondary dns in the config?

Have a good look (read and understand it!) through:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-5.html

At the end (5.6) they write something about the secondary (slave server): you set up only the configuration (named.conf) - the zonefiles are copied automatically (if everything runs fine).

This should be enough info - otherwise it's maybe better to ask someone to run the sec dns (and maybe also the main server...)
/Joximu
09-20-2007 05:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jdcooke Offline

joximu Wrote:<snip>

This should be enough info - otherwise it's maybe better to ask someone to run the sec dns (and maybe also the main server...)
/Joximu

Thank for that, but I am very well aware how dns works. The thing I actually wanted to know is if isPCP had automation for this, as I intend to have resellers setting up domains so the slave server wont know which zones to run delegation for.

As it seems there isn't an automated way of doing this I created a quick and dirty script to do it it works for my setup but YMMV
09-26-2007 06:08 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Hi jdcooke
sorry for misinterpreting your post but I really had the impression that there is missing some background information... :-/

But, "no", there is no automated way to inform the secondary DNS about new domains/zones. You "dirty script" is maybe an interesting extension for ispcp which can be improved with the time...

Cheers J.
09-26-2007 06:33 AM
jdcooke Offline

No worries, I posed the question as Vhcs had an automated (albeit in the same sort of dirty way I used), though via php rather than ftp of moving the script, though that said last time I looked at the vhcs wiki it had been replaced by spam.
You right its not a long term solution it would be better to read the output from the mysql database rather and interact with the ispcp framework, but I am a new user so excuse my rather blunt force method for now, hopefully overtime I will understand how to better interact with the ispcp way of doing things.
09-26-2007 08:29 AM
nuke3d Offline

I think the FAQ addresses this issue:
http://www.isp-control.net/component/opt...view/id,7/
09-26-2007 08:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply