Current time: 05-22-2024, 05:32 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

dns question
nuke3d Offline

dns question
hello
I have a question regarding dns setup. I want to install ispcp on domain admin.X.com. Now there is no dns entry for X.com anywhere so I have to register ns1.X.com on the IP of my server. The problem is that there is no dns config for X.com on my server either because I just start installing ispcp, which will create dns records for the admin.X.com domain, but no one knows how to acces that because the ispcp setup doesn't create any zones for X.com.
Should I manually add a zone for X.com before setup, specify admin.X.com as the ispcp domain, and then later add the domain X.com to a user? If so is it possible to add a NS entry to a zone file via ispcp? Because that's what I'd have to do to get the admin.X.com working.

Maybe I've got this whole dns story wrong, if so I'd be glad if someone could point out where I've gone wrong Smile
09-20-2007 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: dns question
Hi

You can setup ispcp, then add an entry in the local host file (if you have windows at home: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts - if you run linux, yopu should know the path :-)
a line like this...
123.45.67.89 admin.X.com

- then you can reach the ispcpanel of your new server - at least with your own PC.
- then you can add the domain X.com and be happy :-)

Otherwise you temporarly nedd a zonefile on your server - created manually...

/Joximu
09-20-2007 07:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nuke3d Offline

good idea, thank you Smile
09-20-2007 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

You're welcome
09-20-2007 05:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply