Current time: 05-02-2024, 11:48 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

email Piping
fridaystreet Offline

email Piping
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm going mad as I think this should be a releatively easy thing to do, but I can't for the life of me seem to get an email pipe working.

I'm trying to setup an email address that will pipe to a php script. I quickly realised the ispcp admin interface doesn't seem to allow for the entry of a pipe to a forward.

If i try and enter something like "|/path to my php script" in the forward filed it complains the format is incorrect.

So I have tried just configuring it in postfix adding the command to the /etc/aliases with a local identifier

signals ""|/path to my php script"

then adding an actual email mapping in the virtual mappings file /etc/postfix/vhcs2/virtual

signals@mydomain.com signal

no joy it just says unknow user in the log file and mail delviery error. If I setup a forward from within the ispcp gui to an email address, the forwar works and is added to the /etc/postfix/vhcs2/virtual. if I then try changing that manually to point to my local mapping I get the unknown user error. I've tried creating the signals user as a local user but still no joy. Tried a procmail filter and that doesn't even get picked up.

I've searched high and low on email piping with ispcp and there is absolutely no articles anyway as far as I can see. Seems it's a big subject for all other control panels.

Can someone please tell me how I can set this up with ispcp? also is it in the plan to add this functionality to the control panel as per other control panels?

Many thanks in advance
Paul
05-29-2011 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fridaystreet Offline

RE: email Piping
(05-29-2011 01:57 PM)fridaystreet Wrote:  Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm going mad as I think this should be a releatively easy thing to do, but I can't for the life of me seem to get an email pipe working.

I'm trying to setup an email address that will pipe to a php script. I quickly realised the ispcp admin interface doesn't seem to allow for the entry of a pipe to a forward.

If i try and enter something like "|/path to my php script" in the forward filed it complains the format is incorrect.

So I have tried just configuring it in postfix adding the command to the /etc/aliases with a local identifier

signals ""|/path to my php script"

then adding an actual email mapping in the virtual mappings file /etc/postfix/vhcs2/virtual

signals@mydomain.com signal

no joy it just says unknow user in the log file and mail delviery error. If I setup a forward from within the ispcp gui to an email address, the forwar works and is added to the /etc/postfix/vhcs2/virtual. if I then try changing that manually to point to my local mapping I get the unknown user error. I've tried creating the signals user as a local user but still no joy. Tried a procmail filter and that doesn't even get picked up.

I've searched high and low on email piping with ispcp and there is absolutely no articles anyway as far as I can see. Seems it's a big subject for all other control panels.

Can someone please tell me how I can set this up with ispcp? also is it in the plan to add this functionality to the control panel as per other control panels?

Many thanks in advance
Paul

Went back to the drawing board and reinstalled everything from scratch and now if I add a new forward via the gui to forward to an email address, then modify it manually as mentioned above to point to a local mapping in /etc/aliases with my pipe command it works.

Definitely would be a good feature to have the gui recognise a pipe as a forwarding address. Hope its on the list somewhere.

Cheers
Paul
05-29-2011 09:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

RE: email Piping
I'm afraid that it is not. Keep in mind that ispcp uses virtual mailboxes (=no real user per mailbox) because of scaling reasons. Therefore, if we allowed users to create mails that pipe to arbitrary programs, these programs would run under the "virtual mail user" (usually "mail"). This is an obvious security risk, so I do not think we are implementing it anytime soon...
05-30-2011 01:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply