Current time: 04-23-2024, 11:31 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VHCS in a modular and secure environment
Eres Offline

VHCS in a modular and secure environment
Hi,
first of all I would like to thank you for your efforts.
The others control panels aren't really up to the task and VHCS was stagnating so bad it was really frustrating.

I would like to bring my first impression when I've first seen VHCS: "The button are where I expect them to be, there isn't a single functionality that doesn't make sense and the three different operating modes are just the way they should be!". So, please keep in mind that a panel is (also) a tool that enables inexperienced users to get the job done without messing with configuration files they don't understand.

I want my users to keep out of my root shell and I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me when I say this is done by providing USABILITY.
So far it rocks, please don't think of the hackers. Tongue

That said, I love to keep different machines for different jobs, this is good practice for security and essential for HA.
As far as I understand VHCS needs to run on the same machine on which there is a service to be managed. This means installing a webserver + PHP + load of other stuff on a DNS server, or a mailserver and this is not good.

I've seen there is a daemon that in my mind would be installed on each server that needs to be configured (providing just the backend), instructed by a single webserver with a VHCS GUI, but it doesn't seem to work that way (maybe it's my fauly at not understanding the architecture).

So, my request is this: please separate the web GUI from the backend (a little and simple daemon that does well just its things) and don't even require it for protocols that can be instructed remotely (BIND has an update facility, AFAIR).
It would also be cool if the backend required authentication and encrypted communication.

Thanks and keep up with the cool work! Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2007 01:16 AM by Eres.)
02-07-2007 03:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: VHCS in a modular and secure environment
To open the possibility to divide services to several machines is planned for our isp-cp.
For VHCS the changes are too big atm.

They would require a full rewrite and then, we can start with our own code from scratch and be faster that way.
VHCS has gained on functionality over the years, but the architecture behind it was never really updated also it should be...
That is, why we intend to make the best out of VHCS we can without having to rewrite the hole thing.
After we got a stable and nice VHCS OMEGA we'll start over with ISPCP and that will be a real plesk-shocker i promise Big Grin
02-07-2007 04:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eres Offline

RE: VHCS in a modular and secure environment
ephigenie Wrote:To open the possibility to divide services to several machines is planned for our isp-cp.
For VHCS the changes are too big atm.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it then. :-)
02-11-2007 01:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply