Current time: 04-19-2024, 01:42 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
[SOLVED] Default FTP user & ispCP account management
ServerQuack Offline

[SOLVED] Default FTP user & ispCP account management
Hi again.
Got ispCP running alright but ran into a problem with FTP user accounts which won't work in my FileZilla. I thought that I had things set up as in my old VHCS panel of so long ago, but apparently not. What are the default settings for a user account?

Assuming the domain name is: makingitwork.com
FTP user name: uploads@makingitwork.com

Wouldn't the host be makintitwork.com without the www in the beginning?
User same as FTP user name and logon type normal?
Or does ispCP use the "Ask for password" as the default logon type?
For basic data uploading the server type just needs to be FTP, right?

I'm really surprised that I can't get it to work right away. I've used filezilla for years and vhcs too. I've tried the domain with and without the www in front and I can't enter anything but the correct user name. I've tried with password request and without. I've tried remote as / and also as /htdocs. The password definitely jives, checked that, but I can't connect for some odd reason. Any ideas?
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 12:52 AM by ServerQuack.)
08-04-2011 09:14 AM
Find all posts by this user
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: Default FTP user account settings ???
I don't know the vhcs way but it should work normally.

Server: be sure the given name resolves to the server ip - you also can enter the ip address of the server...

Username: user@domain.tld

Logon type: this should be default.

Server type: Unix/Linux/FTP etc...

Filezilla should definetly work...

/J
08-04-2011 10:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
RouterRat Offline

RE: Default FTP user account settings ???
Yes those settings are working.

But how can my user logon to their control panel?
Can they use the same panel as I use?
also if a I am hosting the website makingitwork.com

will their username be makingitwork.com as well? if not where can I create / edit that?

Thanks.
Yes those settings are working.

But how can my user logon to their control panel?
Can they use the same panel as I use?
also if a I am hosting the website makingitwork.com

will their username be makingitwork.com as well? if not where can I create / edit that?

Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2011 04:49 PM by RouterRat.)
08-04-2011 04:49 PM
ServerQuack Offline

RE: Default FTP & ispCP account management
You have different logon means for different purposes. After setting up ispCP you should have received the path to the login page, accessible from your web browser. If you have an admin, reseller, or end user account all of you will use the same login page ... but each with their own user name and password obviously. The admin account allows you to maneuver throughout all areas of ispCP, including end user accounts. The reseller account allows you to maneuver everywhere except the admin section which is a good thing since it prevents you from accidentally messing up admin functions that have been set up already. The end user login keeps the end user restricted to their domain ... which is the way that it should be ... only having access to related web statistics, alias domains, sub domains, email accounts, and ftp accounts.

FTP is a whole different story. Although you can use FTP (at least I think you can) from within ispCP, I do remember from using VHCS that that really sucked since files could only be transferred one at a time. Sometimes the "built-in" FTP behaved a little buggy too. So that's where Filezilla comes in ... OpenSource i.e. Linux, Mac, and Windows compatible.

If you use Filezilla and expect your end users to use FileZilla as well, then that will be a completely separate login method for the end users. First you create the FTP account via ispCP, then you install Filezilla, followed by entering the FTP account info. for the FTP user that you created. If your end user customers require FTP access (most of them would), you'll have to have them install Filezilla on their machines as well, followed by providing them with the FTP information to their account which you previously set up within ispCP. This Filezilla login is completely separate and has nothing to do with the ispCP login.

Email works the same way. Your server admin should be able to provide you with the path to your webmail login. Then you use the information from the email accounts that you've created within ispCP to access your webmail. Your end users would do the same thing ... go to the path of the webmail page ... followed by entering user name (actual assigned email address) and password that was created during the creation of the email account. Hope this helps someone ... Big Grin
(08-04-2011 10:27 AM)joximu Wrote:  Server: be sure the given name resolves to the server ip - you also can enter the ip address of the server...
Username: user@domain.tld
Logon type: this should be default.
Server type: Unix/Linux/FTP etc...
Filezilla should definetly work...

/J

Duh, I went braindead there for a minute. IP works just fine with every FTP user. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 12:54 AM by ServerQuack.)
08-05-2011 12:46 AM
RouterRat Offline

RE: [SOLVED] Default FTP user & ispCP account management
It helped me, thanks. I figured it out.

After I added my first hosting candidate, I can log on to web mail and everything works flawlessly, I can send email but can not receive..

What do I have to change? any mx record adding removing?
08-05-2011 08:03 AM
ServerQuack Offline

RE: [SOLVED] Default FTP user & ispCP account management
(08-05-2011 08:03 AM)RouterRat Wrote:  It helped me, thanks. I figured it out.

After I added my first hosting candidate, I can log on to web mail and everything works flawlessly, I can send email but can not receive..

What do I have to change? any mx record adding removing?

You should take this question and start another thread. Put something in the subject line/title of the thread that has to do with your email problem ... can send but not receive email, etc. Have you tried searching the forum for an answer? That's always step #1
08-05-2011 09:53 AM
Thread Closed