Current time: 04-20-2024, 05:38 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Email passwords dont work
paranoidcookie Offline

Email passwords dont work
Following an upgrade to ispcp 1.0.7 none of the passwords for email accounts work.
I can go in and create a new one , or reset an existing account ok. Is there a method to regenerate the passwords (they all appear to still be in the table mail_users)?
12-05-2010 12:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lomex Offline

RE: Email passwords dont work
I have the same problem.
12-06-2010 02:20 AM
motokochan Offline

Passwords are hashed, I believe. This means they cannot be recovered. You can set new passwords using the control panel.

Also, it might be a bug with certain portions of the mail system stack. Check each service (IMAP, POP3, SMTP) manually to make sure that the passwords are not working globally.
12-06-2010 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paranoidcookie Offline

Yes I understand that the passwords are encrypted what I dont understand is why this patr of the upgrade failed.

I checked on my post upgrade backup and the key files are the same, so I didn't forget to backup the keys.
12-06-2010 07:32 PM
motokochan Offline

It's just mail passwords, right? If you can still login to the control panel interface then your key files are fine.

Did you try manually connecting to each service to see if the passwords are indeed failing on everything? That will make troubleshooting a lot easier. If you're not sure what to do just search the web for the service name and "telnet", For example, for IMAP, search "imap telnet". You'll find instructions on how to connect to manually and see what the services themselves have to say.
12-07-2010 02:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
paranoidcookie Offline

The only problem areas were imap/pop and smtp. FTP accounts were ok as were the htaccess for stats.
Comparing the /etc/courier/usersdb pre / post upgrade, the password hashes were different. This seems to indicat [at least to me] post upgrade ispcp was using a different cipher, any thoughts?

I have had mixed reports on access to Ispcp, some clients claim their passwords didn't work (but who knows if they just forgot their password or now). The admin ispcp is what I used and this was fine for me so I don't really know what has happened.

I have just bitten the bullet and asked clients to reset their passwords or contact me to reset them on their behalf.
12-07-2010 02:09 AM
motokochan Offline

The Courier UsersDB format is very specific. It might have been rebuilt, or it could have just been re-generated and new salt used to build the hashes (they are never stored plaintext in that file). It is rather difficult at this level to determine the cause of the issue, unfortunately. A Courier expert might be able to divine more, but I am not one, alas.
12-15-2010 02:03 AM
shigwegi Offline

Hi,

i got the same problem, but i can log in via webmail.
07-12-2012 04:04 AM