Current time: 04-19-2024, 09:18 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Postgrey questions
robbo007 Offline

Postgrey questions
Hello,
I'm using the default config for postgrey and ISPCP. Some clients are complaining certain emails getting blocked.

1. Is there a way to create a whitelist for domains? If so what file do I need to edit?

2. Is there a way to pass all email and mark it with SPAM in the subject?

Thanks,
Rob
01-12-2012 10:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: Postgrey questions
1) man postgrey:
Quote:Note that the --whitelist-x options can be specified multiple times, and that per default /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients.local and /etc/postgrey/whitelist_recipients.local are also read, so that you can put there local entries.

2) why do you want to mark *all* e-mails with "SPAM" in the subject??? I would not want to be a customer of your hosting...

Remember: postgrey is only a greylisting service (which slows down the mail transfer in the beginning - after a few weeks/months it will be ok (when postgrey knows the normal mail partner of the customers). It keeps away the mails which are not send twice (-> normally spam).

/J
01-13-2012 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robbo007 Offline

Thanks for the reply.

I've been reading a little more as I was no up to date. What I'm finding is some emails are getting "delayed" but the client does not receive them. Its been a couple of weeks are nothing. I see the logs and its getting postgreyed.

Jan 23 09:22:27 sosaria postgrey[2269]: action=greylist, reason=new, client_name=x.x.x.x, client_address=87.x.x.x, sender=x@sender.com, recipient=myclient@theirdomain.com

Is there anywhere I can have this sending domain bypass the postgrey checks? Whitelist or something? Seems their server is not configured correctly and all email gets really delayed.

(01-13-2012 10:01 AM)joximu Wrote:  1) man postgrey:
Quote:Note that the --whitelist-x options can be specified multiple times, and that per default /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients.local and /etc/postgrey/whitelist_recipients.local are also read, so that you can put there local entries.

2) why do you want to mark *all* e-mails with "SPAM" in the subject??? I would not want to be a customer of your hosting...

Remember: postgrey is only a greylisting service (which slows down the mail transfer in the beginning - after a few weeks/months it will be ok (when postgrey knows the normal mail partner of the customers). It keeps away the mails which are not send twice (-> normally spam).

/J
01-23-2012 07:47 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

man postgrey
/etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients.local
01-23-2012 08:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robbo007 Offline

ok thanks found that in-between posts Smile

I've added the the entries and testing it.
I'm still getting a "Recipient address rejected: Greylisted." error and the emails are rejected.

The address being rejected:

Jan 23 12:22:41 sosaria postgrey[26376]: action=greylist, reason=new, client_name=20.mo3.mail-out.ovh.net, client_address=178.33.47.94, sender=sender@domain.com, recipient=myclient@domain.com
Jan 23 12:22:41 sosaria postfix/smtpd[11006]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from 20.mo3.mail-out.ovh.net[178.33.47.94]: 450 4.2.0 <myclient@domain.com>: Recipient address rejected: Greylisted, see http://postgrey.schweikert.ch/help/myclient.com.html; from=<sender@domain.com> to=<myclient@domain.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<mo3.mail-out.ovh.net>

I have in my /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients file the follow entry for that sender domain:

/^.*-out-.*\.ovh\.net$/
mx3.ovh.net
mx4.ovh.net
mxb.ovh.net

Any ideas? Is my whitelist entry correct?

Thanks,
Rob
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2012 10:07 PM by robbo007.)
01-23-2012 09:09 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Hi

hm, 20.mo3.mail-out.ovh.net is not within /^.*-out-.*\.ovh\.net$/ - the - after out is to much....

I think the problem is not a missconfigured send server (seems to be a postfix) but maybe changing sending hostnames for the same mail... Postgrey should recognize sending servers if they are in the same /28 subnet - but it seems that ovh has many such servers spread over all their networks...

If it's always the same recipient and this recipient doesn't wish greylisting at all - then you can use the other white list... (see man postgrey).

/J
01-23-2012 10:24 PM
robbo007 Offline

ok. Can you confirm that the correct whitelist file is:

/etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients

And the syntax should cover their domain range?

*.mo*.mail-out.ovh.net

The rest I will research to see if postfix is doing anything else.

Thanks,
Rob
01-23-2012 10:41 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Hi Rob

the correct path/filename for your postgrey should be ststed in "man postgrey" - in Debian th path is either /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients or /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients.local (the first one alredy has some entries... - the second one is for your own entries (update safe).
In other distros it may be different...

The regexp may look like this?
/^\d+\.mo\d+\.mail-out\.ovh\.net$/

\d+ -> 1 or more integer number.

you agree?

/Joxi
01-23-2012 11:02 PM
robbo007 Offline

Ok thanks. I run Debian Lenny. I've just created the /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients.local as it did not exist. I've used your syntax which looks correct. Fingers crossed its not rejected now. I need to test it further.
Much appreciated,
Rob
Think I got it working:

As I did a few things I'm not really sure which one it was. I changed the following:

1. Copied the /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients and /etc/postgrey/whitelist_clients.local to /etc/postfix/whitelist_clients /etc/postfix/whitelist_clients.local

2. Added the email address of the client who was having problems to the /etc/postgrey/whitelist_recipients file

3. Added in /etc/defaults/postgrey the --delay=300 --auto-whitelist-clients" to the POSTGREY_OPTS="--inet=127.0.0.1:60000 entry

I'll keep watching my log files to see if the other domains are all looking good.

thanks,
Rob
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2012 12:00 AM by robbo007.)
01-23-2012 11:27 PM