Current time: 04-24-2024, 02:43 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PHP-modules, shell and vhcs-logo
Cypherior Offline

PHP-modules, shell and vhcs-logo
Hello,

The information hunger never seems to stop. Some basic questions only.

What if I configure or install some modules to my apache/php, for example ruby on rails - Do I always need to configure or use some hack to get it to work also for my vhcs users?

Shell-question..
In the basic form, shell-accounts are not supported for vhcs-users, but I was wondering if it is possible to create a new unix-user for vhcsusername/www-data(group) and restrict that users access to his virtual/domain folder. If the user now edits or adds some files via ssh, can he still edit them(for example chmod) via ftp(i.e does he have the rights since the file was edited/created by the shell-user)?

Is is allowed to remove the vhcs-logo/information from the footer of the vhcs-panel? If I create a new template, do I have to add the vhcs-logo etc?
02-10-2007 07:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

RE: PHP-modules, shell and vhcs-logo
we now use suexec/fastcgi per default - so php files are executed by the coresponding user and access of them is restricted to their homedir.

Some modules do need some configuration on every vhost - some don't.
What and if you've something to change depends on what you like to enable.
02-10-2007 07:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cypherior Offline

Thanks for a very quick answer.

Do you have any solution in mind that could help moving a site from other server to vhcs-user? In this case the ftp is very slow.

I have tried to use shell but the chown is very difficult since the vhcs-user is not real unix-user... the group is obviously www-data

It also crossed my mind that what if I name the backup-package from the old server with the same style as the vhcs-daily backup and try to use vhcs's backup to unpack the old servers site pack to the new server and to the vhcs-user
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2007 08:00 PM by Cypherior.)
02-10-2007 07:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

you won't have to use chown - because files are owned by the owner already...
and Files created out of php or cgi - scripts are under the same permissions and ownership.

Your Backup - Recovery should be better done by hand - and then the Backup is not thought for server - transfer.

You'll have to backup your DB, too and to edit all configs and create the users in /etc/passwd and stuff like that.
02-10-2007 08:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply