Current time: 04-26-2024, 02:50 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Small awstats improvements
Cube Offline

Small awstats improvements
First I analysed the awstats config template and would like to discuss here some settings.
Of course everyone can change the settings to what he wants, but it would be nice to have a good default.

DNSLookup=2 #DNS Lookup is made only from static DNS cache file (if it exists)
I think it would be better to change this to
DNSLookup=1 #DNS Lookup is fully enabled
One of the advantages is that the stats show the visitor's country and this is a information that customer like very much.

SkipFiles=""
I think it would be a good idea to skip the statistics directory (used for static awstats). I think it makes no sense that there are stats about stats.

Second I'd like to suggest two other small awstats related improvements, which I thing are not worth a new thread.

awstats_updateall.pl should be added to the apache logrotate config as a command in the prerotate part. It would be good to write something about it at least in the install-docs.

The cronjob for static awstats contains the -lang=en option. Perhaps it would be possible to set this value to the language the user has set for ispcp. An easier possibility would be to set it to ispcp's default language. A problem is that the supported languages are not the same. So this is perhaps an improvement with low priority for a future version.
10-28-2007 07:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RatS Offline
Project Leader

RE: Small awstats improvements
DNSLookup=2 is a good point. Is in my next commit. Even if it reduces speed of awstats. Admin can handle it, if he wants to.

SkipFiles? statistics dir is not within htdocs. are there statistis about /stats/ ? never seen.

Will be continued...
10-28-2007 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cube Offline

Quote:SkipFiles? statistics dir is not within htdocs. are there statistis about /stats/ ? never seen.
You can see them also in Bene's demo. I first thought this is only the case with static awstats, but his demo uses dynamic awstats.
10-28-2007 08:41 AM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

Right, "/stats" is also in the AWStats Statistic and i use dynamic as Cube said. I updated to r889 so the REGEX should be correct now.

Greez BeNe
10-28-2007 08:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
raphael Offline

Quote:Perhaps it would be possible to set this value to the language the user has set for ispcp
this can be done, but it requires yet some more queries in the dmn-mngr script, and then some lines in the gui scripts so everytime the user changes its language the config file is regenerated (caused by a status=change)
10-28-2007 10:13 AM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

Cube Wrote:You can see them also in Bene's demo. I first thought this is only the case with static awstats, but his demo uses dynamic awstats.

Okay I see, but why aren't you interested how many people watch your stats? Big Grin
10-28-2007 05:42 PM
Cube Offline

I think the stats should show how many people visit my website, and the stats aren't normally a part of it. If we add password protection the only visitor will be the webmaster anyway and he doesn't need a statistic about his visits.
BTW: As long as we don't have this protection, it would be perhaps a good idea to add a robots.txt which forbids crawling the stats. The stats contain many keywords of the website and could get a better rank in a search engine than the site itself.

Should I open a ticket for the logrotate problem (RC3/RC4?) and the language setting in the cronjob (1.1.0?)
10-30-2007 02:58 AM
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

I still believe we need to lock the stats directory out of the box. AWStats are all about having meaningful stats. The admin, the stats directory, cgi-bin directory, tmp directory etc are not part of it. If you are studying your site's stats, you want statistically meaningful analysis. This argument becomes flawed if you're looking at traffic that's not part of the "site" or "subdomain".

I hope I got my point across Wink
10-30-2007 08:27 PM
Cube Offline

I fully agree with you, except that the cgi-bin directory is not part of the site. There are many sites where you directly access a cgi.
Tomorrow I will open tickets for the different things mentioned here.
10-31-2007 07:31 AM
Cube Offline

Here they are:
#834: Stats directory should be skipped by awstats
#835: Add awstats_updateall.pl to logrotate config
#836: Static awstats in user's language
11-01-2007 01:45 AM