Current time: 05-01-2024, 03:41 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ispCP-Server as Primary Nameserver
FeG Offline
Banned

ispCP-Server as Primary Nameserver
Hi...

I want to set my ispCP server up as primary nameserver. At the moment, my domains are administrated by the ISP HostEurope. They provide both, the primary and the secondary nameservers for my domains.

Now I want to change this so that my server is declared as primary nameserver and the secondary one is still provided by HostEurope.

What do I have to do for this? Am I right that ispCP writes the complete entries for all my domains in the bind config? HostEurope tells me here (Text is in german), that I have to allow a zonetransfer (AXFR) - is this already allowed with the default ispCP - bind configuration?

(As you probably can read in these lines, I'm not too familiar with DNS Wink )

Thanks in advance Smile
FeG
11-06-2007 12:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: ispCP-Server as Primary Nameserver
You need a fix IP for ispCP, then you need the IP of the secondary DNS.
Then you can setup ispcp with giving the ip of the secondary DNS and this should work.
After this you need to set the new DNS in the configuration of the domain registrar.

Just think about that DNS is very important because lots of other things can depend on a single dns setting...

/Joximu
11-06-2007 02:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FeG Offline
Banned

joximu Wrote:Then you can setup ispcp with giving the ip of the secondary DNS and this should work.

How do I do this actually? I can't find any nameserver settings in ispCP, so do I have to edit the bind configuration manually?

joximu Wrote:Just think about that DNS is very important because lots of other things can depend on a single dns setting...

I know Wink but if DNS is running without problems all the time, you aren't in need of learning much about it Wink

Greetings
FeG
11-06-2007 05:15 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

During ispcp-setup you'll be asked about the ip of the secondary DNS - otherwiese you can put it in /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf

/J
11-06-2007 05:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FeG Offline
Banned

joximu Wrote:During ispcp-setup you'll be asked about the ip of the secondary DNS - otherwiese you can put it in /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf

After changing this manually in the /etc/ispcp/ispcp.conf file, what does I have to do that ispCP apply these changes?

Greetings (and thanks so far!)
FeG
11-07-2007 06:44 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

I'm not quite sure but try to set the domain status in the database to "change" and then run the request manager.

http://www.isp-control.net/ispcp/wiki/ho...nfig_files

hope this does the job...
11-07-2007 10:34 AM
tassoman Offline

Secondary NS should have some characteristics or is it enough it is a name server (right some isp adsl provider) ?
05-28-2008 04:49 PM