Current time: 04-18-2024, 10:56 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

High mem usage by ispcp-vrl-traff
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

RE: High mem usage by ispcp-vrl-traff
Sw1fty,

To rename the file to another name, and then create a blank file in its place, requires restarting apache (some systems seem to be able to do this with a reload though I think...). On my system, I'm able to clear the file contents and have apache continue to log to it without any issues, but from what raphael said, this may not be the same for every system.

For a system like mine where you can wipe the contents with no apparent consequences, if you wanted to keep the files around you could do something like copy it to another file then truncate its contents, or cat the contents and append to another file (weekly file for example), then let logrotate run on those weekly files.

For a system that has problems with doing this, I think your stuck with having to restart (or at least reload) apache every time you clear/rename the file. Sad

I just took a look through this code, and might see an issue. I'm not a perl expert though... Sad

228 if ($rdata ne '_no_') {
230 my $rlog = $rdata;
232 ($rs, $rdata) = get_file($rlog);
234 return ($rs, '') if ($rs != 0);
236 my @rows = split(/\n/, $rdata);
238 foreach (@rows) {
240 my $line = "$_\n";
242 $sum += $1 if ($line =~ /(\d+)\n$/);
244 }
246 $rs = del_file($rlog);
248 return ($rs, '') if ($rs != 0);
250 }

Does the get_file() call above actually read the whole file into memory? If these files are large, and this is the case, can we change this to return a file pointer, and just work through requesting line by line? I know this will probably be slower, but would be less on the memory usage, which seems to be the issue here...

Just some ideas, please don't attack me if i'm wrong. Smile

-
Jesse
11-18-2007 05:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
raphael Offline

Quote:Does the get_file() call above actually read the whole file into memory?
Yes it does.
Many of the engine scripts need to be reviewed, mainly because they contain some code that shouldn't be there at all (or they behave in an odd way).

Quote:can we change this to return a file pointer, and just work through requesting line by line
get_file is only a method which does all that, so it would be easier to read the file 'manually' line by line rather than calling a method just to get a file pointer.

Quote:I know this will probably be slower, but would be less on the memory usage, which seems to be the issue here...
probably, and yes. I think I'll make it read 20 lines at a glance, so it is more efficient.
11-19-2007 03:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pgentoo Offline
Dev Team

Achioo,

It looks like raphael checked in an update to the ispcp-vrl-traff script to not put all the file in memory.

This still is probably doing a lot of work that ultimately doesn't need to be done, but unless we figure out a good way to rotate these log files without having to restart apache, this will have to do.

# svn log ispcp-vrl-traff
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r912 | raphael | 2007-11-18 14:33:51 -0800 (Sun, 18 Nov 2007) | 1 line

Fixed #875: don't put the whole traffic logs in memory while counting traffic
------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can, please give a try with the latest and post your findings.
11-25-2007 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply