Current time: 04-20-2024, 12:11 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Split services to more than one hardware machines
soringo Offline

Split services to more than one hardware machines
Hi guys!

I intend to split my running services to more than one servers like this:
- machine #1 we'll run mail server (postfix + courier);
- machine #2 we'll run mysql;
- machine #3 we'll run the rest (daemon, Cp, Http).

I know how to do that by NFS but I have one question for the DEV TEAM....I see that DAEMON controls authdaemon and mail dbs and of course httpd....is there a way to make daemon to control this services remotely or any other solutions?

Let's say that more important is to split mail server and ignore the others for now.

Thx

Sorin
11-16-2007 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbtux Offline
Moderators

RE: Split services to more than one hardware machines
use dovecot... there are sql queries for the users and passwords... (let machine #3 store ispcp database in machine #2, and let machine #1 query machine #2)
11-16-2007 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
soringo Offline

Thx...I have in mind this solution but when you have 2000 mailboxes and hight email traffic it may be crash or have slow answers to email clients because for every query must open a mysql connection.

Thx again.

rbtux Wrote:use dovecot... there are sql queries for the users and passwords... (let machine #3 store ispcp database in machine #2, and let machine #1 query machine #2)
11-16-2007 05:55 PM
rbtux Offline
Moderators

thats not correct...

The Dovecot Auth Process opens one connection (resp. two: one for the domains and one for the subdomains...) and send only the queries afterwards...

But when you have fear of slow reaction I suggest you to replicate the sql server to a instance hosted on the mailserver. (Dovecot will only read from your database... You don't need a cluster though...)
11-16-2007 05:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
soringo Offline

YEs, that's more efficient Smile

rbtux Wrote:thats not correct...

The Dovecot Auth Process opens one connection (resp. two: one for the domains and one for the subdomains...) and send only the queries afterwards...

But when you have fear of slow reaction I suggest you to replicate the sql server to a instance hosted on the mailserver. (Dovecot will only read from your database... You don't need a cluster though...)
11-16-2007 06:10 PM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

In later ispCP versions we're targetting to implement native support for splitting services on multiple machines.

But that needs most things completely rewritten.
We'll start on that once that 1.0 is there.

That will be our new development - branch.
11-16-2007 07:57 PM
raphael Offline

Quote:I see that DAEMON controls authdaemon and mail dbs and of course httpd....is there a way to make daemon to control this services remotely or any other solutions?
the daemon runs the requests manager when the GUI tells him to do so.
By default the daemon only listens on localhost, so the daemon and the gui must run on the same server (if you don't want to play with the code).
And if needed, you may also replace requests manager script of that server to make it run the real requests manager on an other server.
11-17-2007 01:03 PM
soringo Offline

thx all you guys.....I'll wait 'till release 1.0....and of course for debian dev team to resolve fcgi bug .... looks like in r1 release is not solved....in rest all the best to all.
11-21-2007 04:39 AM
soringo Offline

for dev team and releases after 1.0....I think we must have a profund disscussion about the core/engine/gui of this CP for future....I mean about engine(control, language,etc), database system(clusters, control,mysql, pgsql,etc), email-server (control, daemons, postfix vs qmail, courier vs dovecot, etc).

Ceers!!
sorin G
11-21-2007 04:46 AM
rbtux Offline
Moderators

OT:

@soringo: I know postfix and a bit of exim. I don't know much about qmail. Would you really consider use it instead of postfix? I would be interessted in the points why qmail should be used because I heard that it has a lincese that has kind of a special interpretation of open source...

Do you run qmail in a productive environment? I would be very interested in some case studies...
11-21-2007 04:51 AM