Current time: 05-05-2024, 02:48 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Howto upgrade to nightly build
Shaney Offline

Howto upgrade to nightly build
Hello, even if you don't support nightly builds I tried the one of december the 7th and it worked cool and very well in a new server.

Then I tried to upgrade the ones running RC2, but then I cannot login at ispcp 'cos it can't found captcha. I think it's referred to db, but I'm not sure.

I followed http://www.isp-control.net/ispcp/wiki/us...ll/upgrade [1] , but as said it doesn't works. I also think it should add more columns to db and no db were imported on the link [1].

Does anyone have any idea on how to upgrade rc2 to nightly build?
12-08-2007 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gOOvER Offline
Banned

RE: Howto upgrade to nightly build
Thats the wrong Forum. @Mod please move it into installation.

That not so easy, to upgrade from RC2 to an actual Nightly. You have to make some changes by hand. The easiest Way ist to install an actual nightly on a fresh System or wait until RC3 is released. !
12-08-2007 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bpratt Offline

gOOvER Wrote:That not so easy, to upgrade from RC2 to an actual Nightly. You have to make some changes by hand. The easiest Way ist to install an actual nightly on a fresh System or wait until RC3 is released. !

I think there's a whole lot of us out here waiting for RC3 to hit the streets as we are stuck on RC2c, aren't game to risk the destruction and havoc we could easily create on our own systems. Smile

I've thought about upgrading to the nightly builds, but keep on hearing about the imminent release of RC3, and think that I should wait for RC3.

I have heard the major sticking point of RC3 is that the planned upgrade script still isn't ready to be included yet. Sad

We call in to see threads entitled "How to upgrade to nightly build", and hope that someone has included the details of what we need to do to upgrade, but find nothing.

I would personally like to help with debugging/documentation of the upgrading, but at the point of time the gap between RC2c and RC3 is extremely large, and without some form of documention (other than the current vague lists of changes done since the previous nightly build and dozens of those to sort through too ! ).
12-10-2007 11:27 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Hi

The changes from RC2© to RC3(or what's published from it until, now) *are* big. But the changes for an Update are not that big (a database field was added, some table records were added, some configuration variables were added) - but they are tricky to implement in an update script. Especially the things the setup routine does (changing the files which are already there) - they have to be implemented too.
A typical linux update for an application like this (in a RC status!!!) would be a "README.update" - I have the impression that here the update script is done for the big amount of newbies who don't know much about linux etc.
12-10-2007 06:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rbtux Offline
Moderators

joximu Wrote:I have the impression that here the update script is done for the big amount of newbies who don't know much about linux etc.

I tend to agree with that... When you keep your installation up-to-date with the svn then its no problem.

Just check the timeline and when a new changeset is registered check the changes an do them manually.

An advantage of this method is, you know what is configured and you will be able to find the errors much quicker...

EDIT: An update script for stable to stable is of course nescessary... but for rc's and beta version? I don't know...
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2007 07:22 PM by rbtux.)
12-10-2007 07:21 PM
rsmithgs Offline

rbtux Wrote:EDIT: An update script for stable to stable is of course nescessary... but for rc's and beta version? I don't know...

I would tend to agree as you wouldn't normally deploy a beta/rc version in a production environment.

Though if people don't deploy ISPCP in live situations then it is very difficult to find bugs etc.

But those deploying RC versions into production environments shouldn't be newbies. (In my eyes they would be taking an unacceptable risk).

So maybe a Readme is all that is needed for RC upgrades?
12-11-2007 05:29 PM
bpratt Offline

rsmithgs Wrote:
rbtux Wrote:EDIT: An update script for stable to stable is of course nescessary... but for rc's and beta version? I don't know...

I would tend to agree as you wouldn't normally deploy a beta/rc version in a production environment.

Though if people don't deploy ISPCP in live situations then it is very difficult to find bugs etc.

But those deploying RC versions into production environments shouldn't be newbies. (In my eyes they would be taking an unacceptable risk).

So maybe a Readme is all that is needed for RC upgrades?

Well mine is a production system, which is why I'm so very wary of trying to upgrade to a current nightly build.

A decent README is all I need to get hold of to bring mine up to current, but at the moment there's on a mish-mash of documentation that could result in something being overlooked. Smile

If ISPCP isn't used in production enviroments, then we'll never find and get rid of the bugs, and that's part of the reason why I'm looking at upgrading to a nightly build.... there's issues I have that have long since been fixed in the later builds, so I'm not really testing the software anymore.

Sooooo.... let's hope a README comes out with what changes have been made since RC2c. Smile
12-11-2007 05:46 PM
rsmithgs Offline

bpratt Wrote:Well mine is a production system, which is why I'm so very wary of trying to upgrade to a current nightly build.

A decent README is all I need to get hold of to bring mine up to current, but at the moment there's on a mish-mash of documentation that could result in something being overlooked. Smile

If ISPCP isn't used in production enviroments, then we'll never find and get rid of the bugs, and that's part of the reason why I'm looking at upgrading to a nightly build.... there's issues I have that have long since been fixed in the later builds, so I'm not really testing the software anymore.

Sooooo.... let's hope a README comes out with what changes have been made since RC2c. Smile

How about cloning/creating a copy of the system and trying to upgrade that? if you kill it then nothing is lost
12-11-2007 05:51 PM