Current time: 04-21-2024, 12:24 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ispCP Omega vs ispCP
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

Exclamation ispCP Omega vs ispCP
I have witnessed the rapid progress around here. One thing I do not agree with regarding the whole project is related to the product name decision making. I think in the end it will cause more confusion for your own users because you want to make life easier for VHCS users.

Firstly, the control panel name was going to be VHCS OMEGA 2.4.8 - to gain the trust of the original VHCS2 users and so they can upgrade. This then changed to VHCS OMEGA 1.0 to avoid any confusion with version numbering (just in case the original VHCS team reforms and come up with a 2.4.8 version).

However, at some point down the road, you are planning to make a name change to ispCP or ispControl which involves a full rewrite of your VHCS2 OMEGA code. This will potentially confuse your users and not to mention the strain on marketing, promoting and gaining public trust for your software.

My advice is to proceed with ispCP 1.0 (or ispControl 1.0) - not VHCS2 Omega - with a clear upgrade path for VHCS2 users. In fact, there should be many migration paths from cPanel, Plesk and other popular panels to ispCP so it doesn't make sense to tie your name with VHCS. This will free you from all negative publicity related to bugs and security of the former VHCS project as well as any ties in case of future VHCS releases (e.g. version 3). Later down the road, you can then have ispCP 2.0 which is a full rewrite to handle "Multi Server Control and Administration Panel without limits". This is more consistent for the community, your team reputation and to gain public trust with a new major release - not to mention trademark disputes and public confusion.

Just my 0.02!
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2007 02:44 AM by digibyte.)
02-28-2007 10:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeNe Offline
Moderators

RE: VHCS Omega vs ispCP
The problem i think was, that the source-code from VHCS is licesend to a Company. The name must be "VHCS" and "OMEGA" was for the last Version.
So the will bring in some new features and more security.

After they have continued VHCS with Omega the start a complete new Code. I know that it is not easy to understand that VHCS Omega is now 1.0 and after that is ISP.

The should bring out Omega to release the hard work and features that run at the moment and build a solid Control Pannel. After that they can start the new code.
02-28-2007 10:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RatS Offline
Project Leader

Sorry for deleting the Poll, you missed the point and we mad it not clear enough:
* VHCS Omega is a Virtual Hosting Panel.
* ispCP is a framework.
03-01-2007 01:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

Edit: No problem RatS - thank you for the much needed clarification.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2007 12:58 AM by BioALIEN.)
03-01-2007 01:35 AM
digibyte Offline

RatS Wrote:Sorry for deleting the Poll, you missed the point and we mad it not clear enough:
* VHCS Omega is a Virtual Hosting Panel.
* ispCP is a framework.

I will add this to the FAQ.
03-01-2007 03:14 AM
BioALIEN Offline
Public Relations Officer
Dev Team

digibyte, you also need to add some info in the Project info page - currently it only has licensing information regarding ispCP. It needs to say what the panels are and the difference between VHCS2 Omega and ispCP etc. Wink
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2007 11:47 PM by BioALIEN.)
03-01-2007 11:46 PM
digibyte Offline

BioALIEN Wrote:digibyte, you also need to add some info in the Project info page - currently it only has licensing information regarding ispCP. It needs to say what the panels are and the difference between VHCS2 Omega and ispCP etc. Wink
Okay, i've added it on my todo-list Wink
03-02-2007 12:02 AM
kilburn Offline
Development Team
Dev Team

About ispCP... is there any ongoing discussion of how it will be designed? I would like to help on building such a system, and I've some ideas on my own but don't know where to discuss them.

Meanwhile... do you think that "porting" VHCS engine to a php/pear based one would make sense/be useful? It would serve 2 puposes:
1. License: new engine from scratch means new license Wink
2. All the big parts of the system would use the same programming language.

Do you meet in an IRC channel or something?
03-02-2007 04:43 PM
ephigenie Offline
Project Leader
Administrators

We use skype to talk to each other Wink
send me you contacts, then i'll add you Wink
03-02-2007 09:46 PM
grungy Offline

ephigenie Wrote:We use skype to talk to each other Wink
send me you contacts, then i'll add you Wink

You use skype like some conference call or what? Is it allowed only to listen Smile?!?!
03-02-2007 11:23 PM