Current time: 04-30-2024, 09:19 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Two servers, two NS ?
Eminos Offline

Two servers, two NS ?
Hello,

I will soon go live with two servers setup with ispCP (both RC3), I will use both of the servers as standalone from each other. The only thing that I would like is that both of the servers use two NameServers.

host1:
NS1 = host1
NS2 = host2

host2:
NS1 = host2
NS2 = host1

I think you get my point.
Is there a better solution for that I want to acomplish?
What does the NS2 setting in ispCP actually do? Is it enough to just enter the other NameServers IP adress there, and all will work?

I found a How-To in the FAQ section about this, but it's a little bit unclear to follow that How-To. He talks about NS3 and that confuses a little bit. Is this How-To the only way to do what I want (with cron and wget), or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance ..

/E
02-11-2008 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: Two servers, two NS ?
Hi Eminos
you have to tell the NS2 about what domains it is responsible for (the zone information will be transferred automatically but then NS2 has to know which domain should be transferred). There are many solutions around - most of them are based on a translations script (named.conf from NS1 is cenverted to a named.conf for NS2 - which is slightly different) - and then the named.conf has to be copied to the NS2...

/J
02-11-2008 09:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eminos Offline

Thanks joximu,

It's a lot clearer now.
Maybe you could push me in the right direction to the right script, and maybe a correct how-to online ?
Do I still have to use wget and cron?
Wont the named.conf on NS2 be overwritten if you copy the script-modiffied one from NS1 to NS2 ?

/E
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2008 09:12 AM by Eminos.)
02-11-2008 09:10 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

I think you have to use 2 named.con - a named.conf which is controlled by ispcp and a named-slave.conf or similar for the ns2 thing (you have to include this named-slave.conf in thwe named.conf... just read the man page to named.conf

you need cron to regularly "sync" the domain list on the slave (NS2) and wget (or something similar - e.g. "rsync") to copy the list/named-slave.conf to NS2...

I didn't do it on my servers - I run the NSx manually... but some - when I have the time, I'll do something like this...

/J
02-11-2008 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eminos Offline

Alright, makes sense.

What doesn't makes sense is the How-To on the FAQ pages. It really doesn't make sense to me. It is not very documented at all. The How-To is suposed to be written for noobs, but you still have to be a sysadmin to understand what is happening in the code.
Why is the How-To script handling zonefiles if they are (as you said) transfered automaticly? Or am I wrong? And this How-To only handles ONE-WAY transfers, which means it's only good if you use the second server as a NameServer ONLY, right? I need both server as ispCP, standalone, and then to sync the two NS'.

/E
02-11-2008 09:56 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

First: Everyone woh runs a server at the internet should have enough knowledge about the basic services (DNS, SMTP, HTTP etc etc) - and this also includes: bind, apache, sendmail/postfix... etc...
You should be glad: all the informations is freely available... you don't have to buy all o'reilly books.
And DNS is one of the most important services.

The howto is made (without looking at it again) for a ispcp server (NS1) and an external NS2 (without saying more about what the NS2 is also running near bind...)

/J
02-11-2008 10:09 AM
blocker Offline

OS Windows How to is do the samething, right ?
Smile

Eminos Wrote:Alright, makes sense.

What doesn't makes sense is the How-To on the FAQ pages. It really doesn't make sense to me. It is not very documented at all. The How-To is suposed to be written for noobs, but you still have to be a sysadmin to understand what is happening in the code.
/E
02-11-2008 12:05 PM
mata Offline
French Corner Moderator
Moderators

First of all joximu is right, you should have basic knowledge of sys admin

the documentation is all here, you have to get your extra docu from google or wikipedia, we are not a helpdesk where you can just ask away any problem you encounter.

so plz stop asking very general questions and let these people get back to work, because there is a lot to be done !!
02-12-2008 06:31 PM
Eminos Offline

I do have basic sys admin knowlegde. And I see a looot more basic questions beeing answered on the forum. If someone thinks the question is too basic to answer for them then be quiet and get back to work and let the community answer, right?

This forum is up for QUIESTIONS and answers, that is why ispCP doesn't have a helpdesk BUT A COMMUNITY FORUM, and my quiestion is not that basic at all ! It's a fully legitimate quiestion.

/E
02-12-2008 10:05 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Hi Eminos

I wrote the above because you wrote "the howto should be made for noobs" - well, there I don't agree. Of course, there are howtos that have to be understood by noobs, but a howto about DNS sync should be unterstood by people who are familiar with "normal" DNS services/servers...
I agree, that the howto is not very detailed... Smile but I think it's a good hint how this could be done and also give an idea how it could work in a environment as you have...

I don't know what the post of "blocker" wants to say us - maybe it had an influence on matas post...

Cheers Joximu
02-13-2008 03:31 AM