Current time: 05-16-2024, 07:23 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How does ispCP work underneath ?
Eminos Offline

How does ispCP work underneath ?
Hi,

I'd like to know how ispCP actually works underneath.
There are these "backup, parts, working" files and directories that store the settings and stuff, but I never took time to figure it out how it actually works.

Maybe someone could guide us noobs a little bit through this.
For example, what does actually happend when you add a new domain from the control panel? Where is it added? What roll does the database have? And how should you make manuall changes to stuff if you don't want them to be overwritten the next time you make a change in the control panel?
How does it all connect to each other?

Thanks Smile

/E
02-11-2008 09:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RE: How does ispCP work underneath ?
Hey - it's open source. Read the code and try it.
There are also a handfull posts here in the forum which tell you how the whole thing works.
Stop the ispcp_daemon, create a domain, have a look in the DB, run the request manager, have a second look in the db - et voila... (start the ispcp_daemon).
and try to figure out that the files in the working folder are the base for the next change... got it?

/J
02-11-2008 09:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eminos Offline

Oh, alright !

So whenever a change is made from the control panel it's first made in the working directory files, and then copied to the right place?
Ok now it makes sence why one has to make a change in this "working-file" as well if you want the change to persist Smile
02-11-2008 09:31 AM
RatS Offline
Project Leader

Maybe some time we document the code. The lack of documentation is to search at VHCS. No one cared about documenting even anything.

"It was hard to code - so it should be hard to read!"
02-11-2008 09:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eminos Offline

Haha, I get your point RatS, and to some point I agree with your quote.
Anyway, it's nice to have you guys answering the quesions here, this forum is some kind of documentation.

I'm wondering this.
If I want to make a change to, let's say the zonefile admin.domain.com.db, only to that domain/zonefile, is it enough that I make the change to the working file (and the actual var/cache/bind file), or will the working file be overwritten when I make a change in the control panel? If I change the parts files (template files), ALL my domains will be overwritten from the templates, am I right? And I only want to make a persistant change to ONE domain/zonefile.

/E
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2008 09:49 AM by Eminos.)
02-11-2008 09:49 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

RatS Wrote:Maybe some time we document the code. The lack of documentation is to search at VHCS. No one cared about documenting even anything.

"It was hard to code - so it should be hard to read!"

but also hardly no one *after* VHCS2 cared about documenting the code. There were alot of changes/enhancements - but I didn't see much more comments... - well, I can understand it Smile

/J
02-11-2008 09:58 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

Eminos Wrote:Haha, I get your point RatS, and to some point I agree with your quote.
Anyway, it's nice to have you guys answering the quesions here, this forum is some kind of documentation.

I'm wondering this.
If I want to make a change to, let's say the zonefile admin.domain.com.db, only to that domain/zonefile, is it enough that I make the change to the working file (and the actual var/cache/bind file), or will the working file be overwritten when I make a change in the control panel? If I change the parts files (template files), ALL my domains will be overwritten from the templates, am I right? And I only want to make a persistant change to ONE domain/zonefile.

It's a combination of the parts/*.tpl files and the working files.
for a new domain you need some new files: base = several tpl files, then you also need to put some lines in a already existing files:
base = working version of existing file + some tpll files for the new content.
If you regenerate the config (all domains to "change"), then the tpl files are the base for all domains...

I hope it's happening this way - but it seems plausible :-)
02-11-2008 10:04 AM