Current time: 05-08-2024, 03:11 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

IspCP limiting my system resources
psygarden Offline

Question IspCP limiting my system resources
I've been running ispCP for some time now and must say that quite a few websites are running awfully slow if they have a somewhat more cpu-heavy php script running...

My cpu never ever (ever) peaks over 10%, but still sometimes i have to wait 5 seconds for a page to load (or worse, the 500 - internal server error message) ...

i'm quite sure it has to do with the configuration of the fast-cgi parents/children but haven't got a clue how to configure them...

can anyone give me some advice on how to un-limit the cpu usage for all websites?

kind regards,
Rik
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2008 07:01 AM by psygarden.)
02-12-2008 07:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zothos Offline
Release Manager
Dev Team

RE: IspCP limiting my system resources
try to use the newest php (5.2.5)

and try out our new fastcgi conf located in the trunk.
02-12-2008 07:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
psygarden Offline

Zothos Wrote:try to use the newest php (5.2.5)

and try out our new fastcgi conf located in the trunk.

I've already upgraded to 5.2.5 a few weeks ago (and documented it here) to fix an issue with orphaned fcgi threads that wouldn't get killed Wink

i'll have a look at the fastcgi.conf file you are talking about, is this the file in /etc/... or the individual files in /var/...

?

greetings,
Rik
02-12-2008 08:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

I think, you already have the *new* fastcgi_ispcp.conf (apache2/mods-enabled/)

/J
02-12-2008 09:06 AM
BeNe Offline
Moderators

You can try to increase the "PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN" in the php-starter.
So that there are enough childs running and wait for the request.

Greez BeNe
02-12-2008 06:20 PM
psygarden Offline

BeNe Wrote:You can try to increase the "PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN" in the php-starter.
So that there are enough childs running and wait for the request.

Greez BeNe

There's something strange about the directory structure that i want to clear out with you, i have this folder:

Quote:/var/www/fcgi/website1.com/php5-fcgi-starter
/var/www/fcgi/website2.com/php5-fcgi-starter
/var/www/fcgi/website3.com/php5-fcgi-starter

but there is also a second folder with the same set of subfolders in this location:
Quote:/var/www/fcgi/fcgi/website1.com/php5-fcgi-starter
/var/www/fcgi/fcgi/website2.com/php5-fcgi-starter
/var/www/fcgi/fcgi/website3.com/php5-fcgi-starter

These folders contain the same data twice for some reason, and i don't understand how they got there... Can you verify your installs that this is normal?

What files should I edit, and do I need to restart anything to make the changes active? (apache, fcgi, ... ?)

greetings,
Rik
02-13-2008 07:48 AM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

I don't have a folder named fcgi in /var/www/fcgi - so the second one should not be there - move it to some other place and check your sites...

to edit, you need to edit the php.ini in /var/www/fcgi/<domain>/php5(or 4)/...

and an apache restart helps to see the changes quickly - you also could stop the phpX-cgi processes, so they are started again with the next site-access.

/J
02-13-2008 08:09 AM
psygarden Offline

joximu Wrote:I don't have a folder named fcgi in /var/www/fcgi - so the second one should not be there - move it to some other place and check your sites...

to edit, you need to edit the php.ini in /var/www/fcgi/<domain>/php5(or 4)/...

and an apache restart helps to see the changes quickly - you also could stop the phpX-cgi processes, so they are started again with the next site-access.

/J

I think i'm getting closer to the performance i'm used to! Only thing that still catches my attention is the delay before the first pageload of a site that i haven't visited in a while... but that could be caused by several factors...

Could anyone here with a large ispCP host message me an url or two of sites hosted on their server that use cms (phpbb / joomla/ gallery2...) so i can compare the performance? (i'm hosting 10-15 websites on a dualcore amd with 4gb ram)
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2008 06:57 AM by psygarden.)
02-14-2008 06:56 AM