Current time: 06-22-2024, 06:16 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Using two NS dynamicly not possible ?
Eminos Offline

Using two NS dynamicly not possible ?
Hi there,

I just read this guide about DNS/Bind:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch2/

The guide is great and simple to understand. I recomend it.

BUT, as far as I could get it, this means that the default bind9 installation (which is used by ispCP) can not handle dynamical addition of domains on slave nameservers. Which simply means that we can not use two NameServers (without making all the changes on the slave NS manually, which of course is a pain in the butt it you're running more then a few domains).

Am I right about this, or is there something that I have missed?

Two other questions are:
What purpose does the "Second NameServer IP" in ispCP have?
What is the purpose of the ns2 ip in the zone file?

Greatful for clearification...

/E
03-08-2008 11:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsmithgs Offline

RE: Using two NS dynamicly not possible ?
I wont be able to answer all your questions but I will try to answer some :-)

I'm assume by dynamically you mean:

When a new domain is added to the ISPCP control panel that ISPCP will not directly update NS2?

If so then I think your right (unless someone has managed this) which is why people usually syncronise their slave with their masters every x amount of time. This doesn't need to be done manually as it can be scripted and then a cronjob set for the script to run.

This can be achieved with rsync or even using apache and wget (http://vhcs.puuhis.net/wiki/index.php/Secondary_DNS)

As for the second IP that ISPCP asks for, isn't this just so the NS1 DNS records are added with a NS2?

Hopefully the above goes some way of helping you out?
03-13-2008 05:20 PM
joximu Offline
helper
Moderators

bind has to know what is the IP of the slave dns - for every domain. That's why ispCP offer to add this secend IP already to the bind configuration.
ns2 is just an entry in the zone file for users can use ns1.mydomain.tld and ns2.mydomoain.tld - I won't use this but some might.

/J
03-13-2008 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsmithgs Offline

joximu Wrote:bind has to know what is the IP of the slave dns - for every domain. That's why ispCP offer to add this secend IP already to the bind configuration.
ns2 is just an entry in the zone file for users can use ns1.mydomain.tld and ns2.mydomoain.tld - I won't use this but some might.

/J
Thats what I meant :-)
03-13-2008 09:00 PM