Current time: 05-05-2024, 10:13 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Complete Hosting Setup
viperiii Offline

Complete Hosting Setup
I want to know how to get a fully functioning system running...
(yes I know its not exactly production and that is okay)

Let me Elaborate...

Currently I'm running with VMware and it works ... However I have to use outside dns to handle inet requests and use cnames and other ways to get the traffic to my box...

I have a corporate connection for the business (just want to start another business using that corp connection - We have at least 5 public IPs and I can request more.)

A: DNS Server setup....
Omega has a DNS Server but how do I get it setup to have two DNS's?
As you are all aware I need to have two DNS Servers and they have to share the records... How do I set this up?

B: Reverse Lookup Records I can have added via our ISP upon Request no problem as well but refers the the first problem.

My Visionary layout would be like the following:

inet - Firewall (holds multiple IPs) - Vlan for Hosting Co

Hosting Vlan
hosta.mycompany.com
hostb.mycompany.com
hostc.mycompany.com
etc..

I only want all hosts to share the dns load so I will effectively have 3 dns servers no problem c would only be a tertiary. (still doesn't follow rfc because they would all be on the same subnet.. oh well)

What else am I missing... other than basic port forwarding rules for hosting?

C: SSL - I've seen some of the SSL hacks but really wasn't sure if there would be more robust solution offered that we could use Verisign keys or something other than self signed certs? Even self signed certs would be okay but I found that fairly confusing to figure out!

My primary questions refer to the dns setup and having the servers replicate the dns zones properly...

let me know!...

Thx!
05-02-2008 08:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HSorgYves Offline

RE: Complete Hosting Setup
Check http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...nameserver
05-03-2008 02:38 AM
viperiii Offline

HSorgYves Wrote:Check http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...nameserver

Okay so that was a little too easy!!!

How about this one...

Separate issue but still similar...

Has anyone been able to roll your own Dynamic DNS Server that can handle dynamic clients?

Basically a company that I contract for would like to be able to hit clienta.comany.com to hit their external dynamic IP... however I don't want to get a windows solution just because I'm fond of linux (just learning a little bit every day) and think bind should suffice just fine but I would like an interface that users could use if I allow them to... basically like ods.org or dyndns... another service I could offer from my hosting environment?

Currently for testing but maybe in the future for income...?!?
05-03-2008 02:46 AM
weblivehelp Offline

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but if that domain is registered, for example, with eNom, you can get this script: http://www.nerdworks.org/download/dynip/...pdate.html on that linux pc to update the domain and solve to the pc's dynamic ip.

Not really sure if you wanted this or to be able to offer this kind of service... Hope my info was useful
05-03-2008 06:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
robmorin Offline

With respect to teh secondary or 3rd name servers...

Because apache could stop working or go down, the script would then generate an empty file, or bind not restarting due to syntax error, i do it this way...

Keep in mind i am not a programing guy in any way.. Smile

The QazwsxedC.php file is that php file that generates the secondary stuff, i just double check everything after that......

#!/bin/bash

### Actually generate the secondary entries in a file and remove unwanted lines
ssh xx.xx.xx.149 sudo -u vu2000 php4-cgi -f /var/www/ispcp/gui/admin/dido/QazwsxedC.php |grep -v "<" >/var/tmp/named.secondary.tmp

### Simply replace a string that would cause bind to break
perl -pi -e 's/server Server Joe/#server Server Joe/g' /var/tmp/named.secondary.tmp

### Checking the secondary file to make sure it is OK as per BIND

BIND_syntax_test=$(/usr/sbin/named-checkconf /var/tmp/named.secondary.tmp &>/dev/null)$?

if [ $BIND_syntax_test -gt 0 ]
then
echo " *** There is something wrong with the named.secondary.tmp conf file on DNS2, located in /var/tmp OR it does not exist! Keeping existing file*** "
echo "Named.secondary zone file problem on DNS2, SYNTAX Error!" | mail rob@domain.ca -s "DNS2 **** Syntax error in named.secondary.tmp file on DNS2 ****"
# echo $BIND_syntax_test
exit

else

if [ -s /var/tmp/named.secondary.tmp ]
then
echo " The named.secondary.tmp file is OK"
cp /var/tmp/named.secondary.tmp /etc/bind/named.secondary
BIND_error_status=$(/etc/init.d/bind9 force-reload &>/dev/null)$?
else
echo "Named.secondary.tmp file problem on DNS2, its ZERO SIZE!" | mail rob@domain.ca -s "DNS2 **** Named.secondary.tmp zone file problem ****"
fi
fi

BIND_dido_test=$(grep "dido.ca" /var/tmp/named.secondary.tmp &>/dev/null)$?

if [ $BIND_dido_test -gt 0 ]
then
echo "Dido Zone file problem on DNS2, its not there!" | mail rob@domain.ca -s "DNS2 **** Dido zone file problem ****"
fi

# Just for testing below
#echo "Bind Error status--> $BIND_error_status"
#echo "Bind Syntax status --> $BIND_syntax_test"
#echo "Bind Dido status --> $BIND_dido_test"

HSorgYves Wrote:Check http://www.isp-control.net/documentation...nameserver
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2008 01:08 AM by robmorin.)
05-10-2008 01:04 AM